Support for carers

If you give unpaid care to someone who is over the age of 18 you can contact your local carer organisation for support.

If you provide care and support to an adult friend or family member you may be able to get more help to carry on caring and to look after your own wellbeing.

To find out what support we can offer you please get in touch to ask for a carer's assessment. The assessment will help to decide what support you need and how much help we can give you.

Carer's assessment factsheet (PDF, 118.3 KB)

If you are under 18 and are a young carer requesting a care assessment contact Kent Young Carers.

If you are over 18, to ask for an assessment:

If the person you care for does not live in Kent County Council's area you should contact the council covering the area where they live.

If you give unpaid care to someone who is over the age of 18 you can ask for a carer's assessment.

'Caring' for someone covers lots of different things, including:

  • helping with their washing, dressing or eating
  • taking them to regular appointments
  • keeping them company when they feel lonely or anxious.

If this sounds like you, you are a 'carer'.

You can have a carer's assessment even if the person you care for does not get any help from the council, and they will not need to be assessed.

You don't need the permission of the person you are caring for to request a carer's assessment. You are entitled to ask for one in your own right.

However, you can request a combined assessment - where you will be assessed at the same time as the person you care for has their needs assessment.

A carer's assessment is about you and your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing. It's an informal discussion that can happen face to face or over the telephone at a time that's convenient for you.

We'll talk to you about the ways that caring affects your life and what could make things better for you and the person you look after.

You won't need to do a financial means test as part of the carer's assessment but you might be asked about what impact the cost of caring is having on your finances. Having a carer's assessment will not affect whether or not you receive a carer's allowance.

We'll use what you tell us during your assessment to produce a support plan to help you carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. The plan will detail what help from the council you are entitled to, as well as other places to get help.

The support plan may offer practical support, like arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break, or financial support if you're eligible, such as a direct payment to spend on the things that make caring easier. We may also suggest local support groups so you have people to talk to.

If your needs change after we've made your support plan, please get back in touch and we'll speak to you about what steps to take next.