West Kent Local Sustainable Transport Fund
The West Kent Local Sustainable Transport Fund is a package of schemes and initiatives to allow people to easily transfer between different types of transport, making sustainable transport a real alternative to the private car in Sevenoaks, Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge and Malling.
About the programme
This scheme is a package of measures that will address the growing connectivity problems caused in West Kent by traffic congestion hotspots and a lack of capacity in the strategic road and rail networks. This in turn is damaging the confidence and the competitive advantage of businesses in West Kent.
Infrastructure improvements will be delivered at stations, town centres and key interchange points to enable multi alternative journeys using public transport, walking and cycling.
The improvements include:
- station access improvements
- cycle infrastructure improvements
- shared space and public realm regeneration
- introduction of pedestrian information displays
- funding for businesses and innovative school projects.
The West Kent Local Sustainable Transport Fund is a £7.57 million project to be delivered by the end of the 2020/ 2021 financial year. The scheme is part funded by £4.2 million of Local Growth Fund, with further contributions being made by Network Rail, Southeastern Railway, Maidstone Borough Council, Tunbridge Wells Borough Council and Sevenoaks District Council.
The approval to progress the West Kent Local Sustainable Transport Fund was taken by Kent County Council on 15 May 2012.
The decision by the SELEP Accountability Board to grant Local Growth Funding for the Kent Thameside Local Sustainable Transport Integrated door-to-door journeys was made on the 8 April 2016.
Schemes of the programme
- Maidstone East Station: greater access through an expansion of the station building. This will include providing step free access and expansion of the forecourt area to improve the public realm. Watch a video of the opening of Maidstone East Station.
- Swanley station: the refurbishment of the station building, expansion of the forecourt area and additional secure cycle parking spaces. Improving access and increasing the attractiveness of the station. Making journeys easier and more efficient through the use of sustainable transport modes. To see the improvements watch a video from the opening of the new Swanley station.
- Snodland station: enhancements to the forecourt, pedestrian, cycle, bus and parking improvements and the refurbishment of the station buildings.
- Tonbridge station: creation of a transport interchange hub to facilitate easier and more efficient use of sustainable modes of transport and reduce conflict between users. Watch a video about the Tonbridge Cycle Hub.
- Tunbridge Wells public realm: the improvement of access and movement for all users, with greater emphasis on pedestrians, cyclists and public transport, to encourage active travel, reduce carbon and enhance air quality and road safety.
For more information on the West Kent Local Sustainable Transport Fund, please call 03000 418181.