Land drainage consent

You may need land drainage consent from us if you're doing work on or near a watercourse which is not a main river and is not looked after by an internal drainage board.

Find out who's responsible for the watercourse your planned work is on by using the land drainage consents map (PDF, 857.0 KB).

If you are still unsure what type of watercourse your planned work is on please contact us.

Apply for consent

We may tell you that you don't need consent or give you advice that will help avoid delays. Before you apply read our guidance notes for land drainage consent (PDF, 183.1 KB).

Apply for consent

Contact us on 03000 41 41 41 or email us at if you are unable to use the online service.


£50 per structure.

Pollution prevention

Please read the pollution prevention guidelines (GPP5) on the GOV.UK website to ensure that your works in or near an ordinary watercourse protect the environment and meet the legal requirements.