Statistics for libraries, registrations and archives
We have held the Customer Service Excellence Award continuously since 2010 and a Charter Mark since 1991 before that.
Summary statistics (based on 2019/20 figures):
- customers borrowed 4,707,000 items
- 4,102,000 visits were made to our libraries
- we have 138,400 active borrowers
- volunteers delivered books to 1,200 housebound customers
- customers made 2,917,000 online contacts
- 363,500 e-books were borrowed by customers
- 85,600 e-magazines were borrowed by customers
- 415,100 e-newspapers were borrowed by customers
- the top issuing book for 2019/20 was Past Tense by Lee Child
- library staff answered 351,200 enquiries
- our wi-fi service was accessed on 105,400 occasions
- customers renewed 1,199,000 items
- there were 255,800 attendances at our events
- we have over 1,304,000 items that customers can borrow
- customers used our PCs for 345,900 hours
Go to the libraries section of the website to find out how you can access these services.
These summaries show the rates of use for our library services in individual Kent districts:
- Ashford (XLSX, 27.4 KB)
- Canterbury (XLSX, 27.2 KB)
- Dartford (XLSX, 26.7 KB)
- Dover (XLSX, 24.3 KB)
- Gravesham (XLSX, 25.3 KB)
- Maidstone (XLSX, 27.0 KB)
- Sevenoaks (XLSX, 25.5 KB)
- Shepway (XLSX, 26.4 KB)
- Swale (XLSX, 26.2 KB)
- Thanet (XLSX, 24.9 KB)
- Tonbridge and Malling (XLSX, 25.0 KB)
- Tunbridge Wells (XLSX, 25.1 KB)
Kent Archives statistics
The Kent Archives service is based in our Kent History and Library Centre. We have:
- retrieved 34,569 documents from our archives for customers to consult
- answered 11,300 enquiries.
The registration service is available through our libraries and gateways. We have
- registered 17,100 births and 15,700 deaths
- conducted 6,390 ceremonies.
Our yearly surveys have found that a proportion of our customers have indicated that they were very satisfied or satisfied with our services:
- libraries 94%
- registration 96%
- archives 96%
Archives and Records Association customer satisfaction survey
The ARA National Surveys, previously the Public Services Quality Group (PQSG), coordinates 2 important surveys for the sector:
- the Survey of Visitors
- the Distance Users of Enquiry Services Survey.
The surveys take place between September and November in alternate years, so each survey takes place every 2 years. We take part in the surveys to understand customers’ thoughts and to help shape the service with customer feedback. It also provides us with a benchmarking tool, comparing results across all archive services who take part in the survey.
Go to our Kent archives section of the website to find out how you can access these services.