Statistics for libraries, registrations and archives
We have held the Customer Service Excellence Award continuously since 2010 and a Charter Mark since 1991 before that.
Summary statistics (these figures reflect LRA’s output during 2020-21, and consequently do not represent a standard year of service delivery, but do reflect the services that we were able to offer during the COVID-19 pandemic):
- Customers borrowed 2,112,900 items
- 22,400 Select and Collect requests were satisfied
- Books continued to be delivered to 770 housebound customers
- Customers made 4,318,000 online contacts
- 676,900 e-books and e-audiobooks were borrowed by customers
- 126,300 e-magazines were borrowed by customers
- 868,600 e-newspapers were borrowed by customers
- The top issuing book for 2020/21 was Blue Moon by Lee Child
- Library staff made 3,500 befriending telephone calls to vulnerable customers
- We have over 1,323,300 items that customers can borrow
- Our Ask a Kent Librarian Service answered over 13,400 enquiries
- Over 20,900 people engaged with 104 virtual events and activities
Go to the libraries section of the website to find out how you can access these services.
These summaries show the rates of use for our library services in individual Kent districts:
- Ashford (XLS, 133.5 KB)
- Canterbury (XLS, 128.5 KB)
- Dartford (XLS, 132.5 KB)
- Dover (XLS, 128.0 KB)
- Gravesham (XLS, 132.0 KB)
- Maidstone (XLS, 127.5 KB)
- Sevenoaks (XLS, 131.0 KB)
- Shepway (XLS, 127.0 KB)
- Swale (XLS, 127.0 KB)
- Thanet (XLS, 130.5 KB)
- Tonbridge and Malling (XLS, 130.5 KB)
- Tunbridge Wells (XLS, 130.5 KB)
Kent Archives statistics
The Kent Archives service is based in our Kent History and Library Centre. We have:
- retrieved over 50,600 documents from our archives in order to carry out collection work and deal with customer enquiries
- answered over 4,000 enquiries.
The registration service is available through our libraries and gateways. We have
- registered 15,100 births and 19,300 deaths
- conducted 2,150 ceremonies.
Our yearly surveys have found that a proportion of our customers have indicated that they were very satisfied or satisfied with our services:
- libraries 83%
- registration 95%
Archives and Records Association customer satisfaction survey
The ARA National Surveys, previously the Public Services Quality Group (PQSG), coordinates 2 important surveys for the sector:
- the Survey of Visitors
- the Distance Users of Enquiry Services Survey.
The surveys take place between September and November in alternate years, so each survey takes place every 2 years. We take part in the surveys to understand customers’ thoughts and to help shape the service with customer feedback. It also provides us with a benchmarking tool, comparing results across all archive services who take part in the survey. 2020-21 would have been the Survey of Visitors, but we were unable to carry this out due to the search room being closed in line with the government’s COVID-19 guidelines.
Go to our Kent archives section of the website to find out how you can access these services.