Home essentials in a crisis 

We are here to support you if you are having serious difficulties managing your income or if you are facing exceptional pressures because of an emergency or crisis. 

We offer our help for a short time only if you have no other means of support. Wherever possible we want to help you stay in (or move back into) your local community.

We don't offer money. We can provide essential home items such as:

  • groceries
  • clothing
  • young child and baby food, milk and nappies
  • furniture 
  • crockery
  • bedding
  • electrical appliances

and help with:

  • utilities (gas and electric, for up to 7 days)
  • emergency travel arrangements

Some of the home items we provide will be secondhand. 

How to apply

To ask for our help:

You can also visit one of our gateways or your nearest Citizen's Advice Bureau

Before you apply we'll expect you to have claimed any national benefits, grants and loans which are appropriate to your situation.You must have spoken to a benefits or Job Centre Plus advisor about the following before applying to us for help:

Once you have applied for help from us, we will contact you to let you know if we will help you. We will explain what we are giving you and how soon it will be delivered.

If we can't help you, we will explain why and tell you about your right to ask for a review of your situation. We will also let you know where you can go to get more advice or information. 

We can only take your application if you are currently living in (or planning to move to) Kent. If you pay your council tax to Medway you will need to call them on 0800 772 0525.

Emergency financial support

If you need money to cope with exceptional circumstances, there may be national loans and income support available to you. Your local district council may also be able to help you if you need help paying rent or rent in advance.