Newspaper and magazine resources
Being a member of the library gives you access to more than 50 online subscriptions free of charge. When you follow the links below you will be asked for your library card number. For licensing reasons, some of our resources are not available remotely and can only be accessed on computers in particular libraries, therefore no link is given. Ask your local library for more details.
Access to research (all libraries, no remote access)
A 2-year pilot is under way to give public library users free, walk-in access to tax payer funded research papers. Browse the library of journals by visiting the Access to Research website. To access the full text of the journal article you will need to log in to a library computer (with a valid Kent Library card).
Ask at your local library for information on how to access this extensive and growing database of publicly-funded research papers and academic journals.
British Newspaper Archive - Community Edition (all libraries, no remote access)
A partnership between the British Library and Brightsolid online publishing to digitise up to 40 million newspaper pages from the British Library's vast collection over the next 10 years.
So far it includes the following archives for Kent newspapers:
- Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times And Farmers' Gazette - 8 Oct 1836 to 30 Dec 1911
- Dover Express - 7 Aug 1858 to 30 Dec 1949
- East Kent Times - 1 Jan 1859 to 31 Dec 1864
- Faversham Gazette and Whitstable, Sittingbourne, and Milton Journal - 21 Jul 1855 to 31 Oct 1857
- Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate and Cheriton Herald - 3 Jan 1891 to 28 Dec 1935
- Gravesend Reporter, North Kent and South Essex Advertiser- 02 Feb 1856 to 28 Dec 1872
- Kent and Sussex Courier - 6 Jun 1873 to 29 Dec 1939
- Kentish Chronicle - 9 Jul 1859 to 28 Dec 1867
- Kentish Gazette - 28 May 1768 to 25 Dec 1883
- Kentish Independent - 7 Jan 1843 to 31 Dec 1870
- Kentish Weekly Post or Canterbury Journal - 3 Jan 1794 to 21 Nov 1838
- Maidstone Journal & Kentish Advertiser - 5 Jan 1830 to 25 Dec 1902
- Maidstone Telegraph - 1 Jan 1859 to 5 Aug 1871
- Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser - 18 Feb 1881 to 29 Dec 1950
- South Eastern Gazette - 9 Jan 1827 to 30 Dec 1865
- Thanet Advertiser- 26 Nov 1859 to 29 Dec 1950
- West Kent Guardian - 13 Dec 1834 to 2 Aug 1856
- Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald - 5 Jan 1867 to 31 Dec 1950
See the full list of titles.
Free access is restricted to library computers and you will need to register for an individual account. We have a limited number of concurrent licences across the county; to enable a maximum of people to benefit, the product will log you out following 10 minutes of inactivity.
Search the sources below:
EBSCO UK and Ireland Reference Centre
Full-text coverage of many UK newspapers and magazines (including The Times, Telegraph, New Statesman and History Today) supported by a large image bank.
EBSCO Newspaper Source Plus/ MasterFILE Complete
More than 63 million articles from over 1,000 UK and international newspapers including The Times, Telegraph, Daily Mail, Washington Post, Toronto Star, and The Australian, and a range of full text periodicals in the areas of business, health, education, fitness, sports and leisure, personal finance, general science, multicultural issues, DIY, fashion and much more.
Visit the EBSCO website.
A free mobile app which searches across all the EBSCO databases is also available to download from your app store.
Gale News Vault
Visit the Gale News Vault website to search the following resources individually or all in one go.
British Library newspapers
A comprehensive range of national, regional and local newspapers published in 19th century Britain, which reflects the social, political and cultural events of the times. Users can search across a large range of titles, perform full-text searches and view specific article types.
Illustrated London News
The world's first fully illustrated weekly newspaper, it allowed readers to not only read about British and world events but to actually see them. From war and disasters to politics and the arts, it provided a vivid view of the people, places and events that, until then, most of its readers could only imagine.
Times Digital Archives
Search through the digital edition of The Times (London) 1785 - 2007 using keyword or date searches to retrieve full facsimile images of either a specific article or a complete page. The entire newspaper is captured, with all notices, obituaries, advertisements and illustrations/photos divided into categories to facilitate searching.
UK Press Online
Only access to digitised copies of the South Eastern Gazette 1852 - 1912:
- South Eastern Gazette 1852 - 1912
Visit the UK Press Online website.
Other useful websites
DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals)
"This service covers free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals. We aim to cover all subjects and languages". There are currently 6000 journals in the directory, and more than 2500 journals are searchable at article level.
Visit the DOAJ website.
The first newspaper designed to be accessible for people with learning disabilities. It will be published every two months and is available in print and online. An audio version will also be available on CD and online.
Visit the Easy News website.
Travellers' Times Online brings the latest news, pictures, video, opinion and resources from within the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities.
Visit the Travellers' Times website.