Community connectors - championing Positive Wellbeing for over 65s
Helping you reconnect
Our highly trained community connectors, from the Community Warden Service, do what it takes to support you to live well at home and be part of your community. They challenge the disconnection, loneliness and isolation that many older people experience and support you to reconnect, be active and have purpose - your own way.
If you are over 65, feeling low, isolated or concerned about a practical life issue then maybe a community connector can help you towards positive wellbeing.
Would you like our support?
If you are over 65 and would like our support (or want to refer someone else who is over 65), please complete the online form. It will first ask for a postcode and date of birth to confirm age and availability of the service in that area.
If you need help to complete a form, please contact us for assistance.
What a community connector can do for you
Provide free, confidential, one-to-one positive wellbeing support for up to 12 weeks and can help you:
- improve your wellbeing
- tackle loneliness
- learn a new skill or participate in a new activity
- increase self-confidence and self esteem
- achieve a better quality of life
- get involved in your community
- take control of a range of situations with support.
The community connector will spend time talking through the issues that matter to you and help come up with solutions, often by linking you to services and people within your local community.
You can attend appointments by telephone or video call. We hope to be able to offer face to face appointments when COVID restrictions and government guidelines permit.
Communities we support
Community connectors are currently working in just a few communities as we test and develop the service with a view to expanding it across the county.
The service is currently available to people over the age of 65 in small pilot areas.
- Maidstone - Shepway North and South wards
- Swale - Sheerness and Minster-on-Sea
- Folkestone and Hythe - the wards of Folkestone Harbour, Folkestone East and Broadmead
- Thanet - Westgate-on-Sea area.
To check if there is a community connector where you live enter your postcode in our online form.
Other support you can access
- Community wardens will try to help you and your community no matter what the issue. If they don't have the answer they will know someone who will.
- Adult social care and health for help if you or someone you care for needs support due to illness, disability, old age or low income
- Age UK provide a wide range of services to help people in later life.
- Citizens Advice Bureau are an independent organisation specialising in confidential information and advice to assist people with legal, debt, consumer, housing and other problems.
- Involve are a charity working to improve health, empower people and communities to live well and tackle the root causes of ill health including isolation, loneliness, disadvantage and frailty.
- IMAGO provide a range of services and projects that support independence, reduce social isolation and create opportunities for adults and Adult Carers in Dartford, Gravesham, Swanley and Swale.
- Red Zebra provide a range of services in East Kent that enable people to be involved and active in their communities and to remain independent in their own homes.
- Social Enterprise Kent deliver a positive social impact, strengthen communities, empower people and improve lives.