If you live in a known flood risk area, you should adopt a 'self-help' approach and prepare in advance and respond to forecasts or flood warnings.

Sandbags can provide limited protection for a short period of time but need to be installed correctly and used with plastic sheeting.

How to purchase sandbags

You can buy sandbags and sand to protect your property from flooding at local builders merchants or larger DIY stores.

Or purchase purpose-designed flood protection products which can be more effective than sandbags.

Help from your local council

Your local borough or district council may be able to supply sandbags to residents in vulnerable conditions. However sandbags are limited and councils cannot guarantee that they will be delivered in time or in sufficient quantity to prevent or reduce damage to property.

Sandbags from local councils are not provided to protect garages, garden sheds, outbuildings or gardens. Find out when your local council will help residents and how you can contact them in an emergency below:

If you need sandbags during an emergency, call 01233 331111 or email

For further information visit the Ashford Borough Council website.

Canterbury City Council can provide sandbags to homes or businesses most in need following an assessment.

For further information visit the Canterbury City Council website or call 01227 862 000.

Alternatively, empty sandbags may be available to buy from Canenco, with a minimum order of 10 bags. Call 01227 947 860 to check availability.

Requests for sandbags will be prioritised as follows:

  1. vulnerable individuals, the elderly and infirm
  2. hospitals, care homes, schools etc
  3. community flood schemes
  4. council buildings and critical infrastructure
  5. residential properties
  6. business or other non-residential properties.

For further information visit the Dover District Council website.

Folkestone and Hythe District Council can provide empty sandbags to help residents prepare for flooding and will support our residents if their home is in immediate danger.

If you need sandbags during an emergency call 01303 853660 during office hours (Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm), or 01303 221888 out of normal office hours.

For further information visit the Folkestone and Hythe District Council website.

Maidstone Borough Council keep a limited stock of sandbags to help protect key areas identified by the emergency services or as a barrier to divert water away.

For further information and local builders merchant's details visit the Maidstone Borough Council website.

Sevenoaks District Council may provide sandbags in an emergency.

For further information visit the Sevenoaks District Council website.

If you need sandbags during an emergency, call 01732 227000 or email

Swale Borough Council can supply sandbags during a major emergency to residents who are vulnerable and to protect homes.

If you need details on how to get sandbags call 01795 417850.

For further information and to find your local builders merchant's details visit the Swale Borough Council website.

Thanet District Council does not issue sandbags; however they do hold a small stock that may be used in emergencies.

For further information and to find your local builders merchant's details visit the Thanet District Council website.

Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council may be able to provide sandbags to help protect your property. However, they cannot guarantee their availability and will prioritise where homes are affected.

For further information visit the Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council website, call 01732 844522 or email

Tunbridge Wells Borough Council do not supply sandbags to residents and businesses. However, sandbags will be made available to the highest risk locations to assist in the response of a flood.

If your home is in immediate danger of flooding call Tunbridge Wells Borough Council on 01892 526121.

For further information visit the Tunbridge Wells Borough Council website.