Money management

Money helps you to pay your bills and buy the things you need or want in life.

You can get money either through having a job or you could get benefits (money that the government gives you) to help you along the way.

Benefits are there to support you. There are lots of benefits that can help you, however the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP), will be able to assist you the most.

Use our benefits calculator to find out what you could get.

How we can help you

There are some instances where we are able help you.

Personal budgets

A personal budget is the money needed to cover the cost of the special education help in your education, health and care (EHC) plan. When your EHC plan is drafted or in your review meeting, you can ask for your personal budget. You cannot have a personal budget unless you have an EHC plan.

Learn more about personal budgets and how you can request one.

Direct payments

If you or someone you care for gets help from social services, you can apply for direct payments. Direct payments allow you to choose and buy the services you need, instead of us choosing them for you, and can be given as part of your personal budget.

Find out how you can apply for direct payments and what support is available.

Advice and support

If you are looking for money advice or support, you should be able to ask your college or post 16 educational setting. This information should be provided when talking about your future employment options.

There are many different charities and services that can help you:

Support from the government is also available as you start to work through the Access to Work scheme. Visit the government website to find out the Access to Work scheme, or read their easy read guide to the Access to Work scheme.

Disabled Student Allowance

Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) can cover costs for university students who have mental health problems, long term illness or any other disability.

Find out more about having a DSA.