KCC residents and community information email
This notice explains what personal data (information) we hold about you, how we collect, how we use and may share information about you. We are required to give you this information under data protection law.
Who we are
Kent County Council (KCC) collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation which applies across the European Union (including in the United Kingdom) and we are responsible as ‘controller’ of that personal information for the purposes of those laws
Personal information we collect and use
Information collected by us
In order for us to provide you with alerts, updates and other information relating to the services, policies and activities of the council and our partners, we collect the following personal information when you provide it to us:
- contact email addresses (so we can send you emails)
- first name and last name (for the salutation in email we send to you).
In addition, Mailchimp automatically places single pixel gifs, also known as web beacons, in every email sent by customers of its service (in this case Kent County Council). These are tiny graphic files that contain unique identifiers that enable Mailchimp’s services to recognise when email recipients have opened an email or clicked certain links. These technologies record each email address, IP address, date, and time associated with each open and click for a campaign. Mailchimp use this data to create reports for us about how an email campaign performed and what actions recipients took, if any.
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information to provide you with updates and information from time to time, as well as alerts as required. This information will be provided by email using the email address you have asked us to use for this purpose.
How long your personal data will be kept
Your name and email address will remain on our list of recipients within MailChimp's database for as long as we continue to use MailChimp's services or until you remove yourself from our list. You can stop receiving update emails from us at any time using the unsubscribe link on the emails we send to you.
Reasons we can collect and use your personal information
By signing up you are giving us permission to send you update emails. This means we rely on your consent to use the personal information you provide. You can remove permission for us to email you at any time by using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the emails we send you.
Who we share your personal information with
We will share personal information with law enforcement or other public authorities if required by applicable law.
- know what we are doing with your information and why we are doing it
- ask to see what information we hold about you (subject access request)
- ask us to correct any mistakes in the information we hold about you
- object to direct marketing
- make a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office
- ask us to delete information we hold about you
- have your information transferred electronically to yourself or to another organisation
- object to decisions being made that significantly affect you
- object to how we are using your information
- stop us using your information in certain ways