Kent Together

Get support

If you are vulnerable and need urgent support that cannot be met through existing support networks, get in touch.

The information on this page is also available in British Sign Language.

You can get additional information about Kent Together including how the helpline is run and what happens when you ask for support.

We can help with:

  • making sure you have enough food and supplies
  • picking up prescriptions (except in Tunbridge Wells)
  • making sure you have someone to talk to by phone, Skype or Facetime.

Apply for support from Kent Together

If you're unable to use our online form, call our helpline on 03000 41 92 92 (text relay 18001 03000 41 92 92). Deaf British Sign Language users can text our Sensory Services team on 07920 154 315 for help making a request.

Raise awareness of the helpline in your local community by displaying a Kent Together poster (PDF, 1.6 MB).

Advice for shielders

If you've been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable, please follow government advice on shielding.

Financial support and advice

The coronavirus outbreak has affected different people in different ways. If you have seen a reduction in your household income and are experiencing financial difficulties there is support available for you. Find out more about the financial support and advice that is available including information about the Test and Trace Payment Support Scheme if you've been asked to self-isolate.

Wellbeing advice

You can read our wellbeing advice about how to feel more prepared and feel less concerned about what is happening.

Employment advice

Many of Kent’s Citizen’s Advice branches are now offering advice on employment or financial matters over the phone and online. Find your local branch on the Citizen’s Advice website.


We know that many of you would like to offer your help to others in your community and some borough councils are still looking for volunteers. Visit your local council website to get involved:

Please follow the advice on volunteering from:

How we're helping

Kent Together helpline has helped 4,503 people get the support they need.

53,419 calls made to check vulnerable children remain safe.

116 customised activity packs provided to adults with a learning disability to help support them and their wellbeing.

2,995 vulnerable people (non-shielded) supported by Community Wardens (food, prescriptions, advice, welfare support).

47,000 hours of social care provided in people's homes across Kent each week.

70 community day care service users having online sessions with our staff around arts, technology and gardening.

British Sign Language video about Kent Together

We have made this British Sign Language video available as an alternative format of the content on this page.

Kent Together British Sign Language video.