Support if debt is affecting your mental health
1 in 4 people will develop a mental health problem and 50% of those who experience mental distress also have a problem with debt.
The Mental Health Crisis Breathing Space (MHCBS) service can provide protection to those suffering a mental health crisis who are struggling with debt. Protections can include:
- freezing interest and other charges
- pausing enforcement and collection
- preventing contact from creditors.
These protections can last for up to 30 days after the mental health crisis has ended.
A health or care professional can refer a patient for the MHCBS service using our online form. We will offer a self-referral form as soon as possible.
An individual may be eligible for the service if they live in Kent and meet at least 1 of 3 criteria:
- They have been detained in hospital for assessment or treatment (including under part 3 of the Mental Health Act 1983)
- They have been removed to a place of safety by a Police constable
- They are receiving any other crisis, emergency or acute care or treatment in hospital or in the community from a specialist mental health service in relation to a mental disorder of a serious nature. This can include services offered by community mental health services and crisis houses.