Support if debt is affecting your mental health
1 in 4 people will develop a mental health problem and 50% of those who experience mental distress also have a problem with debt.
The Mental Health Crisis Breathing Space (MHCBS) service can provide protection to those suffering a mental health crisis who are struggling with debt. Protections can include:
- freezing interest and other charges
- pausing enforcement and collection
- preventing contact from creditors.
These protections can last for up to 30 days after the mental health crisis has ended.
An individual may be eligible for the service if they live in Kent and meet at least 1 of 3 criteria:
- they have been detained in hospital for assessment or treatment (including under part 3 of the Mental Health Act 1983)
- they have been removed to a place of safety by a police officer
- they are receiving any other crisis, emergency or acute care or treatment in hospital or in the community from a specialist mental health service in relation to a mental disorder of a serious nature. This can include services offered by community mental health services and crisis houses.