Equipment and changes to your home

We work with the NHS to provide equipment that helps people stay independent in their own homes. There are different sorts of equipment available, such as:

  • moving and handling equipment, including hoists and transfer aids like boards, sheets and slings to help carers move a person
  • walking aids
  • bathing aids
  • pressure relieving equipment such as mattresses and cushions
  • adjustable beds which can be raised and lowered.

You may need to make changes to your home to make it easier for you to get around and manage your everyday life. For instance, you might need:

  • a ramp fitted for a wheelchair
  • grab rails
  • a sensor, monitor or alarm put in so you can alert people if you are unable to get to a phone.

If you need equipment

Please get in touch with your district nurse, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, case manager or a qualified assessor. They are the only people who can request it for you.

The equipment will be delivered directly to the home of the person who needs it.

If you need changes to your home

We look at everyone's situation individually by giving you a needs assessment (also known as a community care assessment) and will tell you what we can do to help you adapt your home. Our technicians also work with occupational therapists where necessary to make sure any adaptations are suitable for you.

Some adaptations are free and some you may have to pay for. Here are some examples of free adaptations we can usually carry out:

  • stair rails
  • grab rails
  • adapted steps.

If your home needs a lot of work, such as changing the entire layout of a room or changing the use of a room (for example, changing a spare room into a bathroom), then you will need to pay for it. There are sometimes national grants to help with making changes like these.

If you're not eligible for social care

If you're not eligible for social care Safe and Well is a service provided by NRS Healthcare to find out about getting equipment. The service includes:

  • free online self-assessment
  • free local demonstration
  • free telephone advice
  • links to Centra services (technology and Telecare)
  • occupational therapist visits (fee charged)
  • directory of trusted local suppliers.

Repairing equipment

If something breaks or stops working properly, look for a label on the equipment with contact details to report your problem. Contact details are also on the paperwork delivered with the equipment. If you can't find a contact number, see the 'who to contact' information below.

If your stair or chair lift needs to be repaired call us on 03000 41 61 61.

Returning equipment

Our equipment is on loan to you, so when you don't need it anymore, it has to be returned. Look for a label on the equipment or check on the paperwork delivered with the equipment. If you can't find a contact number, please use the 'who to contact' information below.

If the equipment has been fixed to the floor or wall it is the home owner's responsibility to remove items before collection.  If you can't do this yourself, the Age UK handyman scheme may be able to help. Check with your local Age UK Service.

Who to contact

If there is no label on your equipment, these are the organisations to contact to arrange collection or repairs.

For equipment including beds, hoists, bathing equipment, walking sticks, zimmer frames, commodes and Telehealth:

For telecare and technology enabled care equipment:

For wheelchairs and incontinence pads, contact your GP or district nurse.

If your equipment is not doing everything you need it to, you will need another assessment to see if:

  • you need different equipment
  • you need something done to adapt your current equipment to your new needs.

Speak to your district nurse, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, case manager or a qualified assessor, and they will arrange this for you.

If you wish to raise a complaint about your equipment, you must speak to your equipment provider in the first instance

If your complaint cannot be resolved by the equipment provider please contact us. Call 03000 41 61 61 or email and ask to speak to the adults complaints team.