Dropped kerb contractor information
Information for any contractor when building dropped kerbs in Kent.
To carry out construction of a dropped kerb, the contractor must ensure:
- New Roads and Street Works Act Accreditations for Excavation and Reinstatement is held by an operative on site
- £5 million public liability insurance
A copy of this information will need to provided with your Opening Notice application (PDF, 276.2 KB).
Before starting work, you will need to see a copy of the customer's approval letter to ensure you quote correctly and can fully meet all requirements. If a condition of approval is not met then the works will not pass inspection and may result in you carrying out additional works at your cost.
Your works will be subject to a 2 year maintenance period starting from the day that you complete the works. If a defect occurs within this 2 year period you will be required to rectify the defect at your own cost.
As the contractor you will be required to submit all permits in sufficient time to enable the roadworks coordination to take place. Working on the highway without permission is illegal and will result in a financial penalty. More information can be found in the Kent Permit Scheme information.
The applicant has been provided with the Statutory Undertaker 'Dial before you dig' information which is only valid for 6 months from the time of the approval letter. It is your responsibility to ensure you have up to date Statutory Undertaker information before construction starts.
- Kent Permit Scheme information
- Kent Lane Rental Scheme information
- Gov.UK advice on safety at street works and road works
Specifications and standards
The dropped kerb must be constructed to our exact specifications. All works will be inspected and if it is deemed that construction has not met our specification, you will be required to rectify the defect at your own expense.
- Vehicle crossing specification for construction (PDF, 119.1 KB)
- Vehicle crossing - standard detail sheet 1 (PDF, 22.6 KB)
- Vehicle crossing - standard detail sheet 2 (PDF, 30.0 KB)
- Vehicle crossing - standard detail sheet 3 (PDF, 21.3 KB)
Please use the forms below to coordinate your works. Failure to complete the form or to supply in sufficient time may result in your works being delayed or a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) being issued.
- N notice (PDF, 276.2 KB)
- R1 notices (PDF, 115.6 KB)
- Temporary traffic light request form (XLS, 243.5 KB)
For any help and advice regarding roadworks, or to submit a form, please email: