Dropped kerb contractor information

Information for any contractor when building dropped kerbs in Kent.

To carry out construction of a dropped kerb, the contractor must ensure:

  • New Roads and Street Works Act Accreditations for Excavation and Reinstatement is held by an operative on site
  • £5 million public liability insurance

A copy of this information will need to be provided with your application..

Before starting work, you will need to see a copy of the customer's approval letter to ensure you quote correctly and can fully meet all requirements. If a condition of approval is not met then the works will not pass inspection and may result in you carrying out additional works at your cost.

Your works will be subject to a 2 year maintenance period starting from the day that you complete the works. If a defect occurs within this 2 year period you will be required to rectify the defect at your own cost.

As the contractor you will be required to submit all permits in sufficient time to enable the roadworks coordination to take place. Working on the highway without permission is illegal and will result in a financial penalty. More information can be found in the Kent Permit Scheme information.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have up to date Statutory Undertaker information before construction starts.

The dropped kerb must be constructed to our exact specifications. All works will be inspected and if it is deemed that construction has not met our specification, you will be required to rectify the defect at your own expense.

How to apply

To make an application you need to contact us to request the relevant documentation:

  • Opening notice application
  • Vehicle crossing specification for construction
  • Vehicle crossing standard details sheet 1, 2 and 3
  • N notice
  • R1 notice
  • Temporary traffic light request form.

To request these documents please email:

StreetworksEast@kent.gov.uk for Ashford, Dover, Folkestone and Hythe (Shepway) and Thanet areas
StreetworksMid@kent.gov.uk for Canterbury, Maidstone, Swale and Tonbridge and Malling areas
StreetworksWest@kent.gov.uk for Dartford, Gravesham, Sevenoaks and Tunbridge Wells areas.

Failure to request and complete these form in sufficient time may result in your works being delayed or a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) being issued.