Specialist teaching and learning services

Our Specialist Teaching and Learning Services team provides a service for children and young people (0 to 19 years) with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). We also offer advice and training for pre-schools, mainstream schools and academies on how to meet the needs of children with SEND.

Our specialist teachers are experienced teachers with a qualification in one or more areas of SEND. They work with the other professionals who are in contact with the child and their family to help that child or young person to achieve their learning goals.

We can provide specialist assessments for children and young people based on their individual needs. We will arrange a visit, sometimes more than one, to see your child in preschool or at school so we can understand how your child's special educational need or disability affects the way they learn or their access to education. We will create a plan suggesting ways that your child's learning can be supported by both you and the professionals in your child's school.

For some children, especially those with physical and sensory impairments, the plan may include direct support. Direct support means teaching the child or young person specific skills, for example Braille or British Sign Language (BSL).


If you think that your child could benefit from our service

Please speak to the special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) at your child's preschool or school first.

If your child already uses our service

You can contact your area team using the details below.