Education for young people with SEND

We would like your views on your experience of using our SEND information hub (local offer), and would be grateful if you could take a couple of minutes to complete our survey.

Once you are going into year 12, there are a number of education options available to support you with your future.

You may want to stay in education and attend a sixth form or college, or you may want to look into starting your career.

Your options

Sixth form or college

A sixth form or college is a continuation of education post 16 or 19.

Depending on your choice of study, you can stay in a school setting or move towards a skills based setting such as a college.

Local specialist education and training provider

If you are over the age 16 or 19 and have complex special educational needs (SEN) or an education, health and care (EHC) plan, you may be able to attend a local specialist post 16 or post 19 education and training provider.

Employment and apprenticeships

Alternatively, you may want to leave education and start a career, or you may want to gain skills to help you find the right job for you.

Find out what employment options are available for you.

Adult education courses

Our adult education centres offer online courses including subjects such as arts, crafts, languages, fitness, counselling and many more.

Find out what courses you can do in our adult education centres.

Home education

There are a number of printed and online resources you can use, and groups you can get involved with to help you learn at home.

Learn about the resources available for you to home educate.

Alternative social care options

Alternative social care options settings can support you through a range of activities and training to develop your life skills. To access an alternative social care setting, a social care assessment will take place.

Find your nearest alternative social care setting.

Post 18 options

Once you're 18 you can start a new career, join a local specialist education and training provider or attend an adult education centre to gain additional skills. You may also be interested in applying for university.

Learn more about how to apply for university.