Early years identification and notification

As your child grows, you may see many health professionals, including:

  • your GP
  • hospital doctors
  • health visitors
  • paediatricians
  • physiotherapists
  • occupational therapists
  • children’s community nursing teams
  • consultant audiologists
  • ophthalmologists
  • speech and language therapists.

Health professionals may advise you that your child might benefit from additional support when they begin preschool or nursery, and start the early years foundation stage (EYFS).

Getting the right support for your child

If they feel that your child's health needs could impact on them being able to access mainstream education, it's important that they tell us (as mentioned in section 23 of the Children and Family 2014 Act).

By notifying us about your child it helps us to:

  • plan ahead to meet your child's needs
  • predict the future number of places needed in our special needs schools and build specialist capacity within mainstream schools.

Notify us of a child

Only health professionals can notify us of your child, however if you have any questions you should contact them directly.

Find out how to notify us of a child.

Additional advice

For more information and advice about the early years identification and notification process contact: