16+ Travel Card

Bus travel in Kent for over 16s in school, college or training.

From 3 June apply for a KCC 16+ Travel Saver, a bus pass that can save parents and students up to 50% on the cost of bus travel to and from school and college.

The information below is about your 16+ Travel Card, until it expires on 31 August 2019.

You can use your 16+ travel card all day, all year. Cards run out on 31 August.

The card allows free travel on most public buses. You can't use it on private bus services and coaches.

See a list of all operators taking part (PDF, 94.1 KB)

Travel outside Kent

Use Traveline to plan your bus journey.

Outside of Kent: you can use your pass to travel to counties bordering Kent as long as the journey starts or ends in Kent. You can't use it on London buses.

Medway: you can use your pass as long as your journey starts or ends within the Kent County Council administrative area, but you cannot use your pass to make journeys from one Medway point to another Medway point.

If you experience any problems with the bus service that you are using, you should contact the bus operator. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you can email the 16+ Travel Card Team at kent16plustravelcard@kent.gov.uk.

Behaviour of card holders

You are expected to follow the code of conduct at all times and the bus company's conditions of carriage.

If you don't your pass may be taken away or you may even be banned from travelling on certain buses.

Download the 16+ Travel Card code of conduct leaflet (PDF, 661.9 KB).

Download the 16+ Travel Card terms and conditions (PDF, 88.9 KB).

We'll send your travel card to your school, college or employer within 28 working days of receiving your application.

Once your application has been processed, you will receive an email or letter as confirmation. You no longer need to present a letter in order to travel and we are therefore not providing them.

Lost, stolen or damaged passes

To get a replacement pass please call us on 03000 41 84 84 with your child's name, address and school. You will need a debit or credit card.

Cost: £10 per replacement

Pay: by debit or credit card if you call us or send a cheque or postal order with your child's name, address and school (made payable to Kent County Council) to Kent 16+ Travel Card (Replacement), Kent County Council, Public Transport, PO Box 441, Aylesford, Kent ME6 9HJ.

You can have 3 replacement passes per school year.

Temporary passes

We'll send a temporary pass to your home for your child to show the driver whilst you're waiting for your replacement. We usually do this within 10 working days of receiving payment.

We'll send the replacement pass to the school before the temporary one runs out.

Found passes

If you have found a bus pass please contact one of our staff:

Changes to your details

If your circumstances change, for example if your child changes school or address, please email the details to kent16plustravelcard@kent.gov.uk.