Hire an apprentice
We're passionate about apprenticeships. That's why we offer expert advice and support from start to finish, as well as signposting to relevant funding. We'll even take care of the paperwork for you.
Employing an apprentice is very cost effective.
Go to the Apprentice Kent website to find out about hiring an apprentice.
Apprenticeship levy funds
We are an apprenticeship levy payer and have been able to invest in high-quality training to develop our skilled workforce and recruit apprentices.
Government reforms mean we can transfer up to 25% of our apprenticeship levy funds to Kent employers. This is an opportunity for us to support employers to improve the knowledge and skills of the wider Kent workforce. Read more about the changes to apprenticeship funding on the GOV.UK website.
Employers who can receive transferred levy funds
Both levy and non-levy payers can receive funds for new or existing employees to undertake an apprenticeship training standard.
Employers can be:
- Kent employers in our supply chain
- Kent employers in voluntary, community and social enterprise sectors
- Kent schools that do not pay into the council’s apprenticeship levy.
- be registered on the apprenticeship service (we can support you with this)
- have an agreement with the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA). This will be set up when you register on the apprenticeship service
- only use the funds for training and assessment for apprenticeship standards
- only use the funds for training and assessment of either new apprentices or existing employees undertaking apprenticeships.
We are not able to transfer funds for apprenticeship training that has already started.
Criteria for bids
So there is maximum benefit from the levy funds, employers need to demonstrate how the funding for the apprenticeship programme will contribute to Kent County Council’s strategic outcomes. This is our vision for improving lives by ensuring every pound spent in Kent is delivering better outcomes for Kent’s residents, communities and businesses:
- Children and young people in Kent get the best start in life
- Kent communities feel the benefits of economic growth by being in work, health and enjoying a good quality of life
- Older and vulnerable residents are safe and supported with choices to live independently
Bids will be prioritised using the following criteria:
- Priority 1 - creating apprenticeship opportunities for disadvantaged groups living in Kent (for example: care leavers, NEETs, those with disabilities, long term unemployed)
- Priority 2 - wider social care provision
- Priority 3 - addressing skill shortages in Kent
- Priority 4 - creating higher level apprenticeships.
Apply for funds
Kent County Council and the receiving employer need to agree:
- the amount of funds to be transferred
- the number of apprentices that can be supported
- which apprenticeship programme the apprentice will be enrolling onto
- the duration of the apprenticeship programme.
To meet our requirements, transfer of funds can only be progressed following our internal approval process. As part of this process and to apply you need to fill in the expression of interest form.
- Applications will be administered by officers at Kent County Council.
- Applications will be scored against:
- assessment questions on the expression of interest form
- Kent County Council’s strategic outcomes.
- Levy transfers can only be made against a named apprentice. If a bid is successful, ‘approval in principle’ will be granted until the apprentice has been recruited and the learning provider has confirmed eligibility.
- Applicants will be contacted within 2 weeks of initial application to confirm the outcome of their bid.
- In the event of successful applications exceeding funds available, a selection assessment exercise will be run to confirm successful bids.
- For monitoring purposes, receiving employers will also need to commit to notifying Kent County Council on the outcome of the apprenticeship.
Advice and support
Whether you're wondering if an apprentice is right for your business, want to know about funding, or are having trouble attracting candidates, our experts can help.
We'll guide you through the simple recruitment process, from advertising your vacancy to interviewing candidates, ensuring you get the right apprentice for your business.
Call 03000 41 40 05