Birth certificates

At a birth registration appointment, you are given a copy of a short birth certificate. A short birth certificate contains:

  • first name and surname
  • sex
  • date of birth
  • place of birth.

You can pay to receive a copy of a full birth certificate which contains the above and the parent's details. A full birth certificate is needed when you:

  • apply for child benefit
  • apply for a nursery and school place
  • apply for a passport
  • claim child benefit
  • open a bank account.

Apply for a copy of a birth certificate

We hold records of all births that have occurred in the Kent and Bexley Registration Districts since 1 July 1837. Any birth certificates before this date may be found at our Kent History and Library Centre.

Or find out how to obtain a copy of a birth certificate if:

What we need from you

To order short or full birth certificates you must give us enough information to find the original birth record including:

  • full name at birth
  • date of birth
  • place of birth, for example, the hospital or other address
  • mother's full name, including any family names
  • father's full name.

How to apply

You can apply online, by phone, or by post. We'll post your certificates within 10 working days. Certificates cannot be emailed or collected in person.

  • Apply online.
  • Call 03000 419 300, open 9am to 4:45pm Monday to Friday (open from 10am on Thursdays).
  • To apply by post download a printable application form (PDF, 775.3 KB) (This document is not accessible to those using assistive technology) and return it to:
    • The Certificate Centre, Kent County Council, Births, Deaths, Marriages and Partnerships, 39 Grove Hill Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN1 1EP.

Fees for birth certificates

  • Issued on the day of registration - £11.
  • Issued after the registration, order processed within 5 working days and sent 2nd class post - £11.
  • Express service for certificates issued on the day of application before 3pm and sent 1st class post - £35 (£11 plus £24 express fee).

Certificates can be paid by debit, credit card, or cheque or postal order made payable to Kent County Council.