You receive 1 free short birth certificate when you register your child's birth.
You'll need a full birth certificate when applying for your child's passport and possibly when opening your child's bank account. A full birth certificate shows all the information in the birth register.
You can apply online, by phone, by post or in person. We'll post your certificate/s within 10 working days. Certificates can't be emailed or collected in person.
You can order certificates online for births registered in Kent and Bexley and we will post them to you. Certificates can't be emailed or collected in person.
Apply by phone
Call Kent Libraries, Registration and Archives on 03000 41 93 00 and ask for the certificate centre.
The centre is open 9am to 4:45pm Monday to Saturday (Thursday 10am to 4:45pm only).
Apply by post
Download an application form (PDF, 985.7 KB).
Post a completed application form to:
The Certificate Centre, Kent County Council, Births, Deaths, Marriages and Partnerships, 39 Grove Hill Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN1 1EP.
Apply in person
You can apply in person by visiting the Mansion House certificate centre:
Grove Hill Road,Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1EP.
You should make an appointment by calling the Certificate Centre on 03000 41 93 00.
Short birth certificate
You will receive 1 free short birth certificate at the registration of the birth.
- Issued after the registration: £10
Standard (full) birth certificate
- Issued on the day of registration: £4
- Issued after the registration from a completed register: £10
How to pay
- Cheque, made payable to Kent County Council
- Debit or credit card.
- Express service for certificates issued the next working day following receipt of an application: £27
- Handling fee: £1
- Online search:£18
If you don't know all the information you need to apply you can:
- use our online search tool to search for a birth certificate
- visit the Certificate Centre: Grove Hill Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1EP to search birth entries held there. You must make an appointment before visiting. Book an appointment by calling 03000 41 93 00. There is a fee to view the information in a certificate.