Trading Standards Checked privacy notice
This notice explains what personal data (information) we hold about you, how we collect, how we use and may share information about you. We are required to give you this information under data protection law.
Who we are
We collect, use and are responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation which applies across the European Union (including in the United Kingdom) and we are responsible as ‘controller’ of that personal information for the purposes of those laws.
Kent County Council Trading Standards Checked is a fair trader scheme, managed and administered by KCC.
Personal information we collect and use
Information collected by us
In order for us to promote, administer and manage the Trading Standards Checked scheme, we collect the following personal information when you provide it to us:
- contact address and email address
- contact telephone number
- date of birth
- confirmation of identification (proof of ID and address)
- confirmation of the existence of any criminal records.
We recognise that personal information concerning criminal convictions and offences is not special category personal data but is a very sensitive type of personal information which can only be shared in narrow circumstances.
How we use your personal information
We will use your personal information to:
- provide you with information and offers relating to the Trading Standards Checked scheme
- consider and review your application for membership at initial application stage and on an annual basis
- complete background and due diligence checks as per the scheme membership criteria
- review complaint levels and adherence to the scheme terms and conditions.
How long your personal data will be kept
We will hold your personal information on our secure case management system for up to 1 year after your last request for information about the scheme, or after your last contact with the scheme or following the end of your membership.
Reasons we can collect and use your personal information
Data relating to your health
|Purpose of processing||Legal basis for processing|
|For registering interest in the scheme/being kept up to date with the detail of the scheme.||Processing is completed with the consent of the data subject.|
|Applying for membership.||Processing is necessary to complete the actions, at the request of the data subject, prior to entering into a contract.|
|Completing background and due diligence checks as part of the application process||Processing is necessary to complete the actions, at the request of the data subject, prior to entering into a contract.|
|Ad hoc due diligence checks throughout agreement||Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party.|
Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is interest
Who we share your personal information with
Your personal information will not be routinely shared outside of the KCC Public Protection Group, unless there is a legal obligation to do so.
- know what we are doing with your information and why we are doing it
- ask to see what information we hold about you
- ask us to correct any mistakes in the information we hold about you
- object to direct marketing
- make a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office.
- ask us to delete information we hold about you
- have your information transferred electronically to yourself or to another organisation
- object to decisions being made that significantly affect you
- object to how we are using your information
- stop us using your information in certain ways.