Countryside Access Management Service privacy notice

This notice explains what personal data (information) we hold about you, how we collect, how we use and may share information about you. We are required to give you this information under data protection law.

Who we are

Kent County Council (KCC) collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation which applies across the European Union (including in the United Kingdom) and we are responsible as ‘data controller’ of that personal information for the purposes of those laws.

KCC Public Rights of Way service (PROW) protect, maintain, record and develop public rights of way and access to provide high quality opportunities for residents of and visitors to Kent to explore and enjoy its iconic countryside, boost the rural economy and offer alternative transport options, as set out in the Countryside Access Improvement Plan.

Personal information we collect and use

Information collected by us

In the course of managing and maintaining the public rights of way in Kent, we collect the following personal information when you provide it to us:

  • name
  • telephone number
  • email address

How we use your personal information

Your report allows us to gather information about faults and issues on the Kent public rights of way network. We may use your personal information to contact you to obtain further information or provide updates in relation to the report you make to us.

How long your personal data will be kept

We will hold your personal information for three years following your last contact with the service, on our secure Asset Management System.  After this time, your personal information will be deleted, however the fault you reported may be kept indefinitely on the path file.

Reasons we can collect and use your personal information

The lawful basis on which we collect and use your personal data is that processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation. The provision of your personal data is required for your application to become a member of the KCAF, as per the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 and the Local Access Forums (England) Regulations 2007.

As we have a statutory basis for collecting your personal data if you do not provide it, we are unable to accept you as a member of the KCAF.

Who we share your personal information with

Personal data is not routinely shared and will be used only by KCC Public Rights of Way team for business associated with the public rights of way network.

However, we will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law.

Your rights

Under GDPR you have rights which you can exercise free of charge which allow you to:

  • know what we are doing with your information and why we are doing it
  • ask to see what information we hold about you
  • ask us to correct any mistakes in the information we hold about you
  • object to direct marketing
  • make a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office

Depending on our reason for using your information you may also be entitled to:

  • ask us to delete information we hold about you
  • have your information transferred electronically to yourself or to another organisation
  • object to decisions being made that significantly affect you
  • object to how we are using your information
  • stop us using your information in certain ways

We will always seek to comply with your request however we may be required to hold or use your information to comply with legal duties. Please note, your request may delay or prevent us delivering a service to you.

For further information about your rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, see the guidance from the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) on individuals’ rights under GDPR.

Keeping your personal information secure

We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality

We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so

Who to contact

Please contact the Information Resilience and Transparency Team at to exercise any of your rights, or if you have a complaint about why your information has been collected, how it has been used or how long we have kept it for.

You can contact our Data Protection Officer, Benjamin Watts, at, or write to: Data Protection Officer, Sessions House, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1XQ.

GDPR also gives you right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner who may be contacted on 03031 231113.

Read our corporate privacy statement.