Apply for a highways permit or licence
Roads and pavements should be kept clear and safe as much as possible. Sometimes work and events mean that a highway may need to be closed or partially closed. This requires a licence.
Some applications can be done online and for others you will need to download the form and post it back to us.
If you have any questions before completing an application please call us on 03000 41 81 81.
You can view details of all current and planned permits on roadworks.org
- A-boards on the highway
- Apparatus in the highway (PDF, 171.9 KB)
- Attachments to street lights (PDF, 259.0 KB)
- Banners, cables, decorative lighting or bunting over the highway (PDF, 132.5 KB)
- Cranes and mobile working platforms (PDF, 172.5 KB)
- Cultivation or landscaping of the highway (PDF, 119.4 KB)
- Dropped kerbs
- Event or housing development temporary sign (PDF, 82.9 KB)
- Events on the highway (PDF, 130.3 KB)
- Filming on the highway
- Hoarding or site fencing on the highway (PDF, 137.7 KB)
- Kent Lane Rental scheme
- Kent Permit scheme
- Maintaining apparatus in the highway (PDF, 172.4 KB)
- Materials on the highway (PDF, 137.5 KB)
- Occupy the highway in connection with building work
- Occupy the highway in connection with building work – change to permit
- Occupy the highway in connection with building work - extend a permit
- Road closure
- Scaffold on the highway (PDF, 146.4 KB)
- Sewer connections (PDF, 334.4 KB)
- Skip(s) on the highway
- Tables and chairs on the highway online or download tables and chairs on the highway (PDF, 293.3 KB)
- Tables and chairs on the highway – change a permit
- Tourist sign (brown sign)
- Traffic signals temporary (PDF, 299.3 KB)
- White vehicle access marking lines are no longer provided by us. Some district councils may provide this service. To repaint existing white lines report it online.