Young person letters project video transcript
Video transcript for the young person letters project video.
[Title card] Young Person Letters project.
We wanted to help make the education, health and care plan letters from Kent County Council easier to read for young people.
These were confusing, and young people said:
- "feels like another language"
- "I started drifting off and got bored"
- "not talking to us, but about us".
In order to do this, we needed to talk to young people, work with schools and colleges, and design new letter templates.
Young people we worked with:
- a range of students from year 7 to 13
- mainly 15 to 18 year olds.
Following what young people said about the old letters, we designed new templates, including an easy read version. We then asked young people what they thought of the new templates:
- "easier than the one before"
- "understood it all"
- "like it because it's simple".
It is critical that young people get their say. Their comments mean that an easy read version of the letter will be sent out from September 2022.
We asked the young people how it felt to be involved in the project:
- "it felt very good to be part of something important"
How does it feel knowing your feedback has changed how young people will receive their letters?
- "it feels like they've listened to us and changed it"
- "I feel happy and proud"
- "we made it easier, so that's its own reward".
How will you feel when you receive your next letter, and it contains the easy read version?
- "it will feel more friendly to them"
- "the person will probably feel relieved.
- "I'm happier, it's easier to read."
We would like to thank all the young people who were involved, and look forward to working with you all in the future.