Household Support Fund

About our service

Further funding has been announced by the UK government and we are currently developing the next round of the Household Support Fund. Applications are not open yet, but we will publish the details here when they are available.

Our Household Support Fund scheme does not require banking details to provide support and we will never request this information over the telephone. If you receive any calls requesting this information, claiming to be from a local council, please be vigilant and follow the advice below:

  • Report the call to Action Fraud.
  • Contact Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 1133 for advice if you need it.
  • Alert your bank if you have already given out your bank details.

If you need immediate assistance, check the other places to get help section below for further advice.

If we cannot offer help or you need more help, you can try the following:


You can try your local food banks or the Salvation Army. If you have children under 5, you can also try your local children's centre for both food and clothes.

Clothes and furniture

You can try the Salvation Army, Freecycle, Gumtree, local Facebook selling pages or your local charity shops. If you have a social worker involved with you or your family, they may look into trying Family Fund with you.

Power and utilities

Speak to your provider first to see if they can offer emergency credit. The British Gas Energy Trust may be able to help, or the Salvation Army.

Energy efficiency or heating grants

Utility company schemes

If you are in receipt of a pension, disabled or chronically sick, have a long-term health condition, are in a vulnerable situation, have a hearing or visual impairment, or other additional communication needs, you could be eligible to join the priority services register. The register allows you advance notice of power cuts, priority support in an emergency and more. Contact your energy supplier to sign up to the priority services register.

Support with energy arrears or debt

Find out whether your energy provider can offer you some help:

Financial advice

  • Citizens Advice can help you check for any benefits or financial support to help you with energy bills or allow for you to make energy improvements to your home.
  • Energy Saving Trust has lots of information about how to save energy at home and some financial advice.
  • Turn2us is a national charity providing financial support to help people get back on track. You can access a benefits calculator and grant search to find charitable funds you may be eligible for.

Other assistance

Support if debt is affecting your mental health

The Mental Health Crisis Breathing Space (MHCBS) service can provide protection to those suffering a mental health crisis who are struggling with debt.