Street lights

In Kent, there are around:

  • 123,000 street lights
  • 30,000 lit signs and bollards.

We own and look after most of the street lights in Kent. Parish and district councils own and look after some and some are privately owned.

The 2 main reasons street lights stop working are:

  • faulty equipment in the street light, such as a broken bulb
  • problems with the electricity supply.

Street lights on motorways and truck roads

The street lights on motorways and trunk roads are looked after by National Highways, so any faults should be reported using their helpline, 0300 123 5000.

Street lights we own

The lights that we own have a code (such as 'ABCD123') on the side of the column which is used to identify the light. The code is similar to a house postcode and tells us where the light is located when faults are reported. This spreadsheet shows the street light codes by street name and district (CSV, 11.0 MB).

Report a problem with a street light

Timescales for repair

We aim to fix street lights within 28 working days. If it can’t be fixed on the first visit, we may need to order extra parts and the repair will be planned as soon as possible.

If there is a problem with the electricity supply, we will need to inform the electricity supplier and could take more time to fix the light.

If 3 or more street lights in a row are not working, we will prioritise attendance within 24 hours to investigate the cause.

Track a reported fault

If a street light is shining into your property and causing you a problem, we may be able to adjust the light to fix the problem. If adjusting the light doesn't work, you can ask for a quotation to have a shield installed. Costs per shield to be installed start from £123.

Sometimes it is not possible to completely get rid of the problem, as this may prevent the street light from being effective so we may need to find a compromise.

Request a street light adjustment

You need a licence to attach something to a street light owned by us.

We need to make sure the columns are structurally sound and able to take the weight or size of the attachment. We also check that the attachments are correctly installed and that the person installing the attachment is from a reputable company.

Attachments could include:

  • signs
  • cameras
  • festive lighting
  • aerials
  • timetables
  • hanging baskets
  • flags
  • banners.

Apply for a streetlight attachment permit.

Commercial advertising on the highway is prohibited so we will not authorise any form of advertising being placed on columns that are owned by us.

If we need to make changes to the road or pavement to make your dropped kerb or access point safe, you will need to pay for that work.

Find out more about dropped kerb applications.