Thanet Parkway Railway Station
We are continuing to promote the building of a new railway station in Thanet, called Thanet Parkway. It will be located on the Ashford International to Ramsgate line, just to the west of the village of Cliffsend.
Thanet Parkway will increase rail connectivity between East Kent, London and the wider Kent area by providing access to mainline and high speed services. The project will provide access to more employment opportunities for local residents. It will also improve investment opportunities at Discovery Park and surrounding business parks in Thanet.
Thanet Parkway is part of Network Rail’s Thanet Corridor Enhancements Programme. To find out more, watch this video about the new station and the work to be completed on the railway line before it opens.
The proposed station will be sited between Minster and Ramsgate railway stations and will be served by both mainline and high speed trains.
The station will have 2 platforms for 12-car trains, there will be lifts and stairs to access the platforms, ticket vending machines, waiting shelters, seating and passenger help points to provide remote assistance.
A new access road will be built from the A299 Hengist Way with additional pedestrian and cycle access to Cliffsend village. There will be a 297 space car park, a forecourt with bus stops, drop-off and pick-up zones, electric vehicle charging points and secure cycle storage.
The Thanet Parkway scheme is funded by the following contributors:
- South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP) (Local Growth Fund) (£14 million)
- Getting Building Fund (HM Government) (£12.874 million)
- New Stations Fund (£3.4 million)
- Thanet District Council (£2 million)
- Kent County Council (the remaining funds).
We held 2 public consultations on the proposals.
The first consultation was in 2015 and the second was between January and March 2017, to ask for feedback on the station's proposed facilities.
View the latest plan of the scheme (PDF, 854.5 KB).
Visit the Kent Planning website and search Thanet Parkway for more information about the planning application.
2015 Consultation Report (PDF, 1.8 MB)
2015 Consultation Report Appendices (PDF, 1.2 MB)
2017 Consultation Report (PDF, 2.6 MB)
East Kent has great potential for new business investments. However, the long commute to London and poor connections to the rest of Kent, has meant that it has not always been the first choice for new business investment.
The project will provide access to more employment opportunities for local residents. It will also improve investment opportunities at Discovery Park Enterprise Zone and surrounding business parks in Thanet.
The aims of this project are to:
- improve journey times to London
- increase the attractiveness of East Kent to employers
- support the economy by unlocking new economic development opportunities
- reduce environmental impacts for local residents
- improve accessibility and employment opportunities in Thanet through the provision of Thanet Parkway Station.
The approval to progress the Thanet Parkway Station was taken on 4 August 2014.
A further decision was taken on 27 January 2020 by Cabinet to progress the scheme to delivery.
Approval for the award of £14m Local Growth Fund, subject to planning consent, and agreement for spend beyond the Growth Deal period was taken on 14 February 2020.
The Planning Application for this site was awarded at KCC Planning Committee on 2 September 2020.
The proposed timescales for the project are:
- planning permission considered - August 2020
- breaking ground, archaeology and site clearance - starting September 2020
- open to passengers - expected late July 2023
- official opening ceremony – September 2023.
Find out more about the new station, including the destinations it will serve.
View the latest updates of the Thanet Parkway Railway Station scheme:
- July 2022 newsletter (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- March 2022 newsletter (PDF, 300.3 KB)
- December 2021 newsletter (PDF, 335.3 KB)
- August 2021 newsletter (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- April 2021 newsletter (PDF, 284.3 KB)
- proposed station image - north facing view (JPG, 4.9 MB)
- proposed station image - south facing view (JPG, 3.5 MB)
- November 2019 newsletter (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- October 2020 newsletter (PDF, 1.0 MB)
Read more information about archaeological studies and investigations taking place in this location.
Visit the Canterbury Archaeological Trust blog for updates on the excavation.
If you have any queries email email@example.com.
Visit our Thanet Parkway archaeology page for more information about studies and investigations taking place in this location.
The government Growth Deal provides money to the South East Local Enterprise Partnership, funding projects which drive Kent’s economic and business growth.