Bridges and limits
Network Rail provide information on the prevention of bridge strikes. It includes:
- good practice guides for transport managers
- guides for drivers from other countries
- training course for professional drivers
- know your height
- check signs at the bridge, do not ignore them.
If you see a vehicle hit a bridge, contact information should be on a sign on the bridge. If there is not a phone number, call the police on 999.
Weight limits can be due to structural or environmental reasons. These help:
- protect buildings, roads and bridges
- stop lorries and HGVs from using areas as through routes
- reduce and manage traffic congestion
Restrictions are based on plated vehicle weights and the vehicle is banned even if empty.