Other ways to apply for an older or disabled person's bus pass

27 to 29 May - you will be unable to apply for a replacement bus pass in our libraries. However, you can still apply for a replacement bus pass online.

Apply by phone

Call 03000 41 83 83, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

We can take your details over the phone but you'll need to send copies of your supporting documents by post.

Apply by post

Postal applications can take longer to process than online applications.

If you have to use post, please do not send original documents as we cannot guarantee to return them.  Please only send photocopies with your photo and application to:

ENCTS, Kent County Hall, Contact Point, Invicta House, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 1XX.

If you have any further questions email buspass@kent.gov.uk.

Apply in a hub library

If you have your supporting documents, you can apply for an older or disabled person’s bus pass in the following libraries:

After you apply

Once you have applied and sent in all the requested copied documentation, we will assess your application. You pass may be delayed if all requested documentation is not supplied.

Find out when you will receive your pass.