Kent Thameside Smart Transport
This scheme proposes to upgrade the existing Urban Traffic Management and Control (UTMC) system at up to 41 junctions in Dartford, Ebbsfleet and Gravesham by ensuring the traffic signal junctions are utilising the latest traffic control systems.
UTMC enables traffic signals to react to traffic conditions and incidents by adapting traffic signal timings to ease congestion.
The system will integrate real time traffic information informing road users of conditions via Variable Messaging Signs (VMS).
The existing control systems currently in operation will be replaced by:
- MOVA (a system which assesses the traffic flows approaching on each arm of the junction and then calculates how much green time each arm should have to maximise throughput)
- SCOOT (Split Cycle Offset Optimisation Technique automatically adjusts traffic signal timings to adapt to current traffic conditions, using flow data from traffic sensors).
The smart transport scheme is a £5.66 million project which is expected to be delivered by 2023.
The scheme is being funded through a grant from Ebbsfleet Development Corporation and developer contributions from the Kent Thameside Strategic Transport Infrastructure Programme fund.
The purpose of the scheme is to improve journey times and ensure that the transport infrastructure across Ebbsfleet and the surrounding area is used as efficiently as possible.
The scheme objectives are to:
- improve journey times throughout Ebbsfleet and adjacent journeys within Dartford and Gravesham
- enable intelligent response to traffic conditions across the area
- facilitate an upgrade to the Fastrack bus priority system and encourage a modal shift to more sustainable modes of transport.
The approval to progress the scheme was taken by Kent County Council on 19 January 2021. View the approval.
Individual junctions will be designed and constructed on a rolling programme with design and construction for different junctions undertaken concurrently.
The forecasted timescales for this project are as follows:
- Project start: February 2021
- Design: February 2021 to January 2023
- Construction: March 2021 to March 2023
- Completion: March 2023
All timescales are subject to change.