A-board requirements

An A-board is an advertising board outside shops and restaurants.

If you own a business and want to place an A-board on the pavement outside your property, you may need planning permission. Please contact your local district council for further information.

You must do this before you start using the A-board.

You do not need a licence, but do need to agree to the requirements.

Sign and return the A-board requirements form (PDF, 82.9 KB) to us.

We need to keep paths and roads clear for users and if A-boards are causing an obstruction, we may remove them.

Other options are available such as:

  • externally mounted boards
  • hanging signs
  • externally mounted display boxes
  • additional signage in the shop front.

Please check with your local district council if you need planning permission for any of the alternatives.