The Straits Committee Small Project Initiative
The Straits Committee is a voluntary partnership between Kent County Council and neighbouring local authorities in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. We promote good neighbourly relations, encourage cross-border discussions on matters of mutual interest and seek to create opportunities for working together where it is useful to do so.
The Straits Committee is piloting an initiative in 2021 to support local organisations on either side of the Channel to work together. We are looking for fresh and innovative ideas and will welcome applications on any theme where a tangible benefit from working together can be demonstrated.
Projects must involve at least 2 organisations from 2 different Straits Committee areas and from 2 different countries. Successful applicants will receive funding from their home local authority.
We will offer revenue grants of up to £5,000 for organisations in Kent towards some or all of their project cost for projects of up to 2 years. Our Straits Committee partners will offer similar grants to organisations from their areas to take part in projects.
If you are interested in applying please read:
To be eligible for funding:
- your organisation must be properly constituted and have a current bank account
- your project must involve at least one other organisation from a Straits Committee area located in another country.
- projects can be submitted at any time. There is a rolling programme of deadlines that are usually set 4 to 6 weeks before meetings of the Straits Executive Committee
- grant rules and administration processes vary from area to area.
If you would like to discuss if your idea is suitable for the Straits Committee Small Project Initiative complete an expression of interest form.
If you would like to apply or discuss if your idea is suitable for the Straits Committee Small Project Initiative please complete an expression of interest form.
Once we receive your expression of interest form, we will contact you to discuss your idea and send you the application forms.
If you are eligible and want to apply, you must submit:
- completed application form
- completed budget form.
Email your completed application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read the privacy notices before you apply to the Straits Committee Small Project Initiative:
Our partners in the Straits Committee are:
- Provincie Zeeland (The Netherlands)
- Provincie Oost-Vlaanderen (Belgium)
- Provincie West-Vlaanderen (Belgium)
- Département du Pas-de-Calais (France)
- Département du Nord (France).
The member authorities meet up to 4 times a year at the Straits Executive Committee where each authority is represented by an elected official.
If you would like to know more about the Straits Committee:
- read more about KCC’s decision to take part in the Straits Committee
- find out about our February 2020 Straits Committee launch conference
- find out about our first year of activity.
Or you can contact one of our officers working with the Straits Committee: