Support for children who have come to the attention of the police
The role of the Youth Justice Team is to protect the public and to stop children offending and re-offending. We will try to understand what is going on for you and help you achieve your goals. If you are aged 10 to 17 and have come to the attention of the police, we may be asked by the police or courts to work with you.
- are going through the court system
- are sentenced to a court order or receive an out of court disposal - these are given by a court or the police depending on the offence and are what you must do. Sometimes this can also be voluntary support.
- What you need to know before you go to court.
- Information about restorative justice and reparation.
- Information about out of court disposals and court orders.
- Understanding your criminal record.
Some of the support may be the same as for families who have an early help referral. To help prevent offending we will work with children and their families to:
- identify and build on existing strengths and protective factors
- improve family relationships
- help the child develop a positive identity and future aspirations.
- charities and local communities
- drug and alcohol services
- mental health services
- the police
- the Probation Service
- schools and education providers
- social work and early help teams.
- support victims of crime
- support children on court bail
- attend youth court to support children and their families to understand the process, and to help magistrates make decisions which keep children and the public safe
- help children and their families through all stages of the youth justice system.
- North (Dartford, Gravesham and Swale) call 03000 412100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- South (Folkestone and Hythe, Dover and Ashford) call 03000 421550 or email email@example.com
- East (Canterbury and Thanet ) call 03000 411084 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- West (Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge and Malling and Sevenoaks) call 03000 413777 or email email@example.com.