SEND support in further education

As you move from secondary school into further education, support needs to be available to you to help transition and prepare for adulthood.

Our Planning for Adulthood (PfA) Core Standards, sets out how your education provider can help you work towards your aspirations. It explains what you should expect in terms of advice and guidance, and the things you can do to help yourself during this time.

Your further education provider should keep your needs under regular review. They should be assessing your needs, planning and providing support, and reviewing and evaluating that support so that it can be adjusted where necessary through the Graduated Approach. Throughout the review, they should involve you and your parents and listen to your voice.

The support provided should be selected to meet your needs as per the PfA core standards, and should be based on reliable evidence of effectiveness and provided by practitioners with the relevant skills and knowledge.

Further education providers must also adhere to the guidelines as outlined SEND code of practice to support you and your family.

Support from your sixth form

As you move through years 7 to 11 into sixth form, your school has developed an understanding of what works well for you and how best to support you as you progress. This is kept under regular review.

For additional further education support and advice, you can talk to your:

  • careers advisor
  • form tutor
  • head of year.

Support from your further education or training provider

If you attend a further education and training provider, your Learning Support Team can help you. The support they can provide could include:

  • support in the classroom
  • provide one to one help
  • set up exam arrangements and extra time.

Some further education providers have other support staff such as mentors and a counselling service to provide confidential support if needed.

Your provider can also signpost you to helpful support services, for example:

They can be involved at any point for help or advice on the best way to support a student with SEN or a disability.

As well as educational support, your college may run supported internships which are designed to help you enter the world of employment if you have an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

Support for you and your family

As well as the support given by your school or college, you can also contact the following support networks to help you: