Portage - supporting pre-school children with SEND
The Kent Portage Team supports pre-school children with special education needs and disabilities (SEND). We work with families, focusing on planned play activities to help each child’s development.
If there are concerns about a child’s development and they are not meeting key milestones we may be able to offer some additional help.
Portage is a place you feel so relaxed among others in the same situation and not judged yourself as a parent of your child.Parent
We support pre-school children who have a significant delay in 2 or more areas of their development. Children do not need to have a diagnosis for a referral to be made, parents and professionals can make referrals.
Contact us to make a referral:
What we offer
We offer weekly pre-school learning groups, home learning sessions and virtual support. We could offer a combination of learning groups and home learning sessions.
- Sensory groups - these usually support the youngest children and have a music and tactile focus.
- Early learning groups - have planned play activities for more actively mobile children.
- Pre-school learning groups are designed to support your child’s next steps towards attending an early years setting (for example a nursery, childminder or pre-school).
These sessions support each child’s learning and development through play, giving families an opportunity to try out different approaches and strategies in the session as well as ideas to try at home.
Portage has given us ideas of what we can do to try and encourage development and progress. It has also given us positivity at each visit, which as parents really helps.Parent
Home learning sessions are either weekly, fortnightly, monthly or virtually. Portage Practitioners work with each family to assess children’s strengths and needs, and then create individual play activities that support the child and family.
Websites parents may find useful
- National Portage Association website
- Sense website - a charity for people with complex disabilities
- Newlife website - the charity for disabled children
- Down's Syndrome Association website
- National Autistic Society website
- Kent PACT - a parent carer forum for parents of children and young people with disabilities and additional needs
- Includes us 2 - a charity providing information, support and social events for disabled children and their families in the areas of Ashford, Dover and Shepway
- 4us2 - a charity working to improve the lives of children and young people with all kinds of disabilities across East Kent (Thanet, Swale and Canterbury).