Your options for SEN support

Meet with your child’s school to discuss support options

Every nursery, school and college has a special educational needs coordinator, who you should meet with to discuss your child’s progress.

  • All schools have an obligation to provide support.
  • Many different kinds of support available.

We’ve prepared some advice to help you have this conversation.

See the advice

Speak to your health visitor, school nurse or doctor

Your health visitor, school nurse or GP can support you and refer you to other health professionals.

  • For example, you can be referred to specialist speech and language therapists, without an EHC plan.

Make an appointment with your health visitor, school nurse or GP.

Explore the help and support available in your local community

There are many voluntary organisations, support groups and advice charities active in Kent that can help you, often for free.

  • Wide variety of support available, to suit all situations.
  • Most support is free.

You can search for services and activities on our website.

Get independent advice to help support you

Information, Advice and Support Kent can provide impartial, confidential and free advice and support to help you along your journey.

  • Everything said is confidential and can stay anonymous.
  • They provide an impartial service.

Visit the IASK website to get started.

Consider whether children’s services can help

If your family is going through a difficult time, our Early Help team may be able to help.

  • You don’t have to be at a crisis point to reach out.
  • You may not need an assessment.

Read about how to use children’s services in Kent.