Cost of KCC 16+ Travel Saver
Using National Bus Strategy funding provided by government, we’re freezing the cost of the KCC 16+ Travel Saver bus pass at last year’s price.
The cost of the KCC 16+ Travel Saver is £500 for the year, £510 if you pay in instalments.
You can pay online in full or spread the cost in monthly instalments with the Direct Debit option and make 8 monthly payments between August 2023 and March 2024. The pass costs the same no matter when you apply for it, so the earlier you apply the more value you get, and the longer period you can spread the payments over.
Schools and colleges receive government funding to help some students with the cost. You will need to check directly with your school or college about how to get this support. The following guidance is to help them.
- A student from a household with an income of £20,818 or over will pay the full (£500) amount.
- A student from a household with an income between £16,191 and £20,817 per year should be considered for some further financial support provided by the school or college.
- A student from a household with an income of less than £16,191 (equivalent to the free school meals criteria) should, at the discretion of the school or college, pay no more than £200 for the pass.
Free passes are also available for:
- young carers, aged 16 to 18
- children in care, aged 16 to 18
- care leavers, aged 18 to 21.
You do not need to get your application endorsed, we can check when you apply.
Pay in instalments by Direct Debit
You can spread the cost over 8 months from August to March. Select the Direct Debit option when you apply online.
A £10 administration fee applies to the Direct Debit option and will be added to the first payment.
The cost of the pass remains the same whenever you apply. The earlier you apply the more monthly instalments you can spread the cost over. If you apply later in the year, then you can split the cost by the number of months left until March 2024.
- Apply by 6 August 2023: 1 x instalment of £72.50 followed by 7 x instalments of £62.50 (total cost £510)
- Apply by 3 December 2023: 1 x instalment of £110 followed by 4 x instalments of £100 (total cost £510)
If you no longer need your pass you can get a refund. You need to return your pass to the address shown on the back of your card by Monday 3 June 2024.
|Date returned by||Refund amount|
|Not collected or returned before the start of the year||£490|
|30 October 2023 - term 2||£415|
|2 January 2024 - term 3||£332|
|19 February 2024 - term 4||£249|
|16 April 2024 - term 5||£164|
|4 June 2024 - term 6||£83|
|After 3 June 2024||£0|