Contact us about property or land we own

To find out if we own a property or a piece of land, check our property assets mapping tool. Find out what you need to do if you'd like to reuse this data.

Alternative methods of obtaining details of our property or land can be found in the land or road ownership section below.

About our property

There are many reasons you might need to contact us about property. The information below explains what information we can provide and how you can get it.

Police or emergency matters

In an emergency, where there is a significant or imminent risk to life or personal safety, or a crime is being committed, call 999 for the emergency services.

If it is less urgent, but still needs police attention, call the police non-emergency 101 number.

Reporting an incident at one of our sites out of hours

For urgent non-police matters, outside of normal working hours (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm), call our out of hours number 0800 901 2464.

If we can respond to your enquiry in normal working hours, please use our contact form.

We partner with an organisation called AccessAble to provide information about the accessibility of our properties. You can view detailed guides, with information about accessing our properties, to help plan your visit and know what to expect when you arrive.

These, and guides to many other public and commercial buildings, are on the AccessAble website.

Properties and land for sale or lease

If we no longer need a property or land, we put it up for sale or lease on the open market to make sure the sale is fair and transparent.

View our properties and land for sale

Where an agent is listed for a sale, you are advised to contact the agent for any information relating to the sale.

We do not respond to speculative expressions of interest about the lease or sale of land or offers to assist with development of surplus land.

Properties and land we have sold or leased

To find a property or a piece of land we have sold or leased, check our list of sold or leased KCC properties and land. We update the list every 3 months.

Alternatively, read our annual published list of our sold or leased properties and land (CSV, 1.6 MB).

Find out what you need to do if you'd like to reuse this data.

Unless our property is publicly accessible for example a park, or to access services within a building, you should not enter it without permission.

If you need to enter our land or property to do something, you should contact us and provide us with the relevant details first. If we agree, we will issue you with a written licence, which you'll need to pay for.

For information about the boundary of the public highway, send a plan (a sketch is acceptable if nothing else is available) showing the land in question:

Other ways to find out if we own a property or a piece of land:

We can only tell you about property and land we own, we do not maintain details of third party ownership. If you think we own a piece of land, please use our contact form to tell us as much as you can about the land so we can cross check it against our records.

If we do not own the piece of land or property you'd like to know more about, you need to search for land and property information on GOV.UK.

If you'd like information about road ownership and what we look after, visit our roads and travel section.

If you are a landlord or tenant of ours and you need to get in touch for example to query a rental invoice or account balance, please use our contact form.

If you need to get permission from us before doing any development such as an extension or changing what the property is used for, you should contact us as specified in your restrictive covenant documentation. We suggest that you get appropriate legal advice first.

You can ask us to remove a restrictive covenant or charge by using our contact form. Depending on the circumstances, we may need to do some work to decide if we can remove the covenant, amend it or decline your request.

We'll tell you about any costs that may be incurred before we do any work.

Our properties are maintained by various contractors depending on the property location or type.

To report an issue with one of our properties, use our contact form.

Schools are responsible for the management of their own sites. If you have a query about a school property, you need to contact them directly.

You can find a school's contact details by using our school search.

Generally, we won't intervene with a tree’s natural growth and development unless there is a valid reason. Valid reasons include:

  • an issue with the health of the tree
  • the tree posing a risk to health and safety
  • a risk or evidence of damage to property.

Each request for intervention about a tree will be considered individually.

You're welcome to trim vegetation up to, and no further than, your boundary if:

  • there is no Tree Preservation Order in place (you can check this with your local borough or district council)
  • you are not causing undue damage to the safety or the ongoing viability of the tree.

Schools are responsible for the management of the trees on their sites. If you have an issue about trees at a school, please contact the school directly.

Details of your property boundaries can be found in your title deeds. The deeds are usually kept by your bank, building society or solicitor.

If your title is registered with HM Land Registry, they can provide a copy of your deeds for a small fee. Request a copy of your deeds on the GOV.UK website.

If you have a boundary with one of our properties, please check your deeds before contacting us about maintenance.

Contact us

If you have not found the answer to your query on this page, you can contact us:

  • use our online contact form
  • write to Kent County Council, Infrastructure Division, Invicta House, County Hall, Maidstone, ME14 1XX with full details of the enquiry and, if required, a plan showing the location.

Get an update

You can use the contact form to get an update on an enquiry if you have not received a response. Please include the original reference number given by the KCC infrastructure Team, or our facilities management provider to help us find your query.

If you are not satisfied with the response you have received from us, you can raise a complaint which will be reviewed by an independent officer.

Using this data

This content is made available for reuse with our permission under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0. By using information made available under this licence you indicate you have accepted its terms and conditions. There is no need to register or formally apply for a licence.

If you reuse this information you must use the following attribution statement to acknowledge the source of the information: "Contains public sector information provided by Kent County Council licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0".

Whilst we endeavour to ensure the accuracy and reliability of this data, the data is provided “as is”, without any express or implied warranty as to its accuracy or suitability for your purposes. We take no responsibility for errors or omissions in the data and therefore you should not assume that the data is error free or that it would be suitable for your intended purpose.

In no event shall we be held liable for any kind of direct or consequential loss or any damages whatsoever which may arise from use of this data.

Downloadable files have been scanned for viruses, but we recommend you scan the files prior to opening them.