Doing business with Europe
Doing business with Europe has changed.
The UK has left the Single Market and Customs Union and new rules for importing and exporting now apply.
If you export goods to the EU, you must follow customs controls, including completing export declarations. If you have any questions about exporting to Europe, contact the Export Support Service online, or call 0300 303 8955.
If your business imports foods, plants or plant products from the EU, you need to follow the latest trading rules that came in on 1 January 2022.
To find out more, visit the GOV.UK website or contact the Kent and Medway Growth Hub's Support Line on 03333 602300.
The government’s website also contains detail on a range of topics for businesses trading with Europe including:
- Importing and exporting
- Travelling to the EU
- Providing services to the EU
- Transport goods to the EU
- Employing people
- Exchanging data with EU businesses.
Support for Kent businesses
If you're a local business and would like some advice on how to adapt to the new rules, and prepare for further checks during 2022, you can:
- contact the Kent and Medway Growth Hub to speak to an adviser about your business and Brexit by calling 03333 602300.
- visit our Trading goods with the EU page for up to date advice and webinars from Kent Trading Standards on importing and exporting goods.
- visit the Kent International Business website for access to a range of export support organisations in Kent including the Department for International Trade (practical advice on changes to be made to ensure ongoing export-readiness) and Kent Invicta Chamber of Commerce (export and customs documentation).
- ask the Department for International Trade export support team a question about things like exporting to new markets, paperwork you need to sell your goods abroad and rules for a specific country where you want to sell services.
- watch videos, sign up for email alerts and register for free webinars to learn more about UK transition.