National Speed Awareness course
To attend this course you must have received a letter from the police.
Drivers that attend this course significantly reduce their chances of being involved in a crash and of being caught for the same offence in the next 2 to 3 years.
The course lasts 4½ hours, including breaks. It takes place in a classroom type setting.
You can attend only one National Speed Awareness course in 3 years. Any further offending will be dealt with by prosecution.
The course trainers have professional driver training backgrounds and follow national guidelines. The police do not participate in the course.
You can take the course in other areas in the UK, just search the police DORS website to attend a course outside of Kent.
Further information on this course can be found at National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme website
Before attending the Speed Awareness course you must:
- agree to the terms and conditions (PDF, 80.4 KB)
- read the medical fitness advice from GOV.UK. Make sure the DVLA are kept up to date.
Before booking your course please make sure you have the means to pay at the time of booking. You may book online and pay by debit or credit card. The course costs £87 in Kent. This is non-refundable.
You must have your driving licence number to book your course. This can be found on your licence photo card. If you do not know your licence number, you can check it through GOV.UK's licence detail viewing service.
You must bring photo identification to prove who you are.
If you do not bring photo identification, you could be refused entry to the course.
Examples of photo identification can be:
- valid passport
- valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
- valid photographic driving licence (if you currently have a paper application, you may wish to apply to exchange your paper driver licence to photo driver licence)
- valid armed forces identity card
- valid police warrant card/badge
- valid employees identity pass
- Citizen Card
- valid Government-issued identity card
- SMART card
- electoral identity card
- photographic disabled badge
- NUS card photographic (National Union of Students)
- photographic university/college ID card
- company ID card of nationally recognised company (photographic)
- council issued bus pass (senior citizens only)
- pension book (the only acceptable form of non-photographic identification)
- Young Scot card
If you have a photocard licence we can only accept it with a current photograph and if the photograph still identifies you (field 4b on your licence gives the expiry date of the photograph).
Please make sure you arrive on time.
If you are late you will not be allowed to participate. This could lead to a re-booking fee if we can offer a new course date, or your case being returned to the police.
Directions to the venues
The Maidstone Masonic Centre, Maidstone (The Cornwallis Suite) (follow the signs from Courtenay Road for the Cornwallis Suite)
In bad weather, please call us on 03000 41 81 81 for up to date information about closed venues.