National Driver Alertness course
To attend this course you must have received a letter from the police.
Drivers that attend this course significantly reduce their chances of being involved in a crash and of being caught for the same offence in the next 2 to 3 years.
This course is offered as an alternative to prosecution for some road traffic incidents.
The course lasts 1 day and includes drinks and a light buffet lunch.
It is a mixture of classroom discussion and practical driving.
The course is not a driving test. You can fail it by driving in an unsafe manner causing your practical drive to be ended by the instructor.
You will be provided with a fully insured modern car for the practical driving sessions. If you have a particular need and your own car is adapted for those needs, it can be used after approval by us.
You can attend only one National Driver Alertness course in 3 years. Any further offending will be dealt with by prosecution.
The course trainers have professional driver training backgrounds and follow national guidelines. The police do not participate in the course.
You can take the course in other areas in the UK, just search the police DORS website to attend a course outside of Kent.
Further information on this course can be found at National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme website
Before attending the Driver Alertness course you should:
- Agree to the terms and conditions (PDF, 91.8 KB)
- Read the medical fitness advice from GOV.UK. Make sure the DVLA are kept up to date.
To book call us on 03000 41 81 81.
You must provide:
- driving licence number
- contact number
- any additional needs.
The course costs £165 in Kent. This is non-refundable.
You must bring photo identification to prove who you are.
If you do not bring photo identification, you could be refused entry to the course.
Examples of photo identification can be:
- valid passport
- valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
- valid photographic driving licence (if you currently have a paper application, you may wish to apply to exchange your paper driver licence to photo driver licence)
- valid armed forces identity card
- valid police warrant card/badge
- valid employees identity pass
- Citizen Card
- valid Government-issued identity card
- SMART card
- electoral identity card
- photographic disabled badge
- NUS card photographic (National Union of Students)
- photographic university/college ID card
- company ID card of nationally recognised company (photographic)
- Council issued bus pass (senior citizens only)
- Pension book (the only acceptable form of non-photographic identification)
- Young Scot card
If you have a photocard licence we can only accept it with a current photograph and if the photograph still identifies you (field 4b on your licence gives the expiry date of the photograph).
Please make sure you arrive on time.
If you are late you will not be allowed to participate. This could lead to a re-booking fee if we can offer a new course date, or your case being returned to the police.
Directions to the venue
The Maidstone Masonic Centre, Maidstone (The Cornwallis Suite) (follow the signs from Courtenay Road for the Cornwallis Suite)
In bad weather, please call us on 03000 41 81 81 for up to date information about closed venues.