Apply for a dropped kerb

A dropped kerb or vehicle crossing is the dip in the path and kerb that lets you drive up to your house.

The kerb is dropped from the normal height and the path is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle. Without this, the path and any pipes that are buried below it could be damaged.

A crossing is part of the public highway and available for public use. We are responsible for maintaining it.

To have a dropped kerb, it must:

  • leave enough room for you to park your vehicle completely on the property
  • be at least 4.8m from the front of your house (6m if the parking area is in front of a door or garage)
  • be a minimum width of 2.4m
  • be more than 10m away from a road junction (15m on major roads and busy junctions)
  • meet visibility guidelines (this depends on the type of road)
  • have suitable drainage near your house
  • be at least 1.5m from streetlights and other street furniture
  • avoid removing tree roots
  • have permission from the property owner.

Use the self assessment guidance (PDF, 454.8 KB) for more information and to check you are eligible.

Planning permission

You must contact your district council planning department before applying to us, to enquire as to whether you will require planning permission for a vehicle crossing. If yes please forward a copy of the planning permission with your application or letter of response from your Borough Council.

If your district council confirm that you require permission, please forward a copy of the planning permission with your application.

If they advise you that planning permission is not necessary, we will require confirmation, please include a letter or email from the Borough Council as part of your vehicle crossing application.

For classified streets, we will need to see a copy of your planning permission before we can process your application.

Find out if your road is unclassified (PDF, 7.1 MB). To search for your street in the document, press 'Ctrl' and 'F' together and then type in your street name and press return.

Existing dropped kerbs

To apply for an extension of an existing dropped kerb, you must make a new application.

Application costs and criteria are of the same as a new application. Kent Highways must carry out an inspection to ensure that the extended dropped crossover meets the criteria set.

Payment should be made by cheque (payable to Kent County Council) and enclosed with your application form.

Householder application

The cost to apply for permission is £320.

£150 will be returned if the permission is declined or not approved.

If you are registered disabled you may be able to apply for financial help from your district council.

Applications are usually handled by the Housing or Environmental Health department at your local Borough or District Council. You may apply direct or through a referral by a social worker or occupational therapist.

The first step is for an occupational therapist (OT) to undertake an assessment of the disabled person's needs. The OT's recommendations are important as they are required as evidence that the changes are essential.

Developer application

Administration and inspection fees are based on the following rules:

  • 2 to 5 properties - £215 per property, (minimum £530)
  • 6 to 25 properties - £106 per property, (minimum £1,060)
  • more than 25 properties - £2,650 plus additional £106 per property.

Once you have been granted permission, you can employ any contractor to carry out the works as long as they hold:

  • New Roads and Street Works Act Accreditations for Excavation and Reinstatement
  • £5 million public liability insurance.

Contractors' prices can vary from £1,000 to £2,500. You will be responsible for paying the contractor.

Sometimes additional work is needed to build the crossing. You will need to pay for this. It could include:

  • moving a street lighting column
  • moving a traffic sign and post
  • removing a tree and planting replacements
  • changing covers in the path (for example water, gas or cable TV covers)
  • getting a traffic management order to change a parking bay.

Householder application

Complete the householder dropped kerb application form (PDF, 151.3 KB).

Dropped kerbs for heavy vehicles (more than 3.5 tonnes) will need to be enhanced. Please write this on the application form.

Due to the current volume of applications, it is likely to take 4 to 8 weeks to process your application from the date we receive it. Once approved, you have 12 months to complete the work. If you have not completed it in this time, you will need to re-apply.

Developer application

A developer application is required when you are building a new property or renovating an existing property that is not your family home.

Complete the developer dropped kerb application form (PDF, 160.2 KB)

To track your application you can use our report a problem tool.

Enter your application reference number into the track a fault box at the top of the page.

Track your application

We can check if an existing dropped kerb was built with approval and meets the current maintenance arrangements.

This costs £46.

Please write to Kent Highways and we will confirm in writing if it is legal or not.

Read Section 184 of the Highways Act 1980 on vehicle crossings.

Tell us what you think

Please complete our online feedback form and help us to improve our service.


Information and forms for dropped kerb contractors