The area took its name from a hand drawn ferry that crossed the River Stour. The local pub, built in 1831 also takes the name The Grove Ferry Inn. The near-by Grove Ferry Bridge was renovated by Kent County Council in September 2000. This is close to the railway level crossing, the site of a former dismantled railway station.
Fishing rights were granted during the reign of King Henry II and are still available along the riverbank today from Canterbury and District Angling Association
Grove Ferry Boat Club, founded in 1964, whose club house is on the site, is home to recreation boats for enthusiasts and members.
Since the opening of the site, it has been managed for public recreation and is still a popular site, particularly during the summer months, for family picnics and barbeques.