Settlement checking service

The settlement checking service is optional if you are applying to settle in the UK as the husband, wife or partner of a British citizen using the SET(m) form. We check that your application to the Home Office has been completed correctly, with all the necessary documents and the right fees.

We will take copies of your supporting documents to send to the Home Office so that you can keep hold of your original documents. 

Although this isn't automatically a faster application process, applications that are submitted to the Home Office correctly first time are usually processed faster.  


The application fee is £80 per person. You pay this when you make your appointment and it is in addition to the fee charged by the UK Visa and Immigration Service.

Children aged 17 or younger can be included as dependents on an adult application.

The fee will not be refunded if:

  • you fail to attand the appointment
  • you amend the appointment with less than 24 hours notice (you will need to pay the fee again for a new appointment)
  • the application doesn't meet requirements.

If you cancel the appointment with more than 24 hours notice, £50 of the fee will be refunded. There is no charge to amend an appointment if you give more than 24 hours notice.

Make an appointment

You can make an appointment with the settlement checking service by calling 03000 415151. You and your partner should attend the appointment together. If your partner cannot attend, they must provide a signed and dated letter, with a daytime phone number, stating that they support the application.

You will need to make your appointment within 28 days of your current leave expiring. You won't be able to attend an appointment more than 28 days before the end of your 5 year probationary period:

  • If you have an entry clearance visa the 5 year probationary period starts from the date your visa was stamped when you entered the UK.
  • If you have a residence permit or a biometric residence permit the 5 year probationary period starts from when you were granted 5 years leave as a spouse or partner.

You can call us for more information about the service and the booking progress, however, we can't give advice about settlement. Visit GOV.UK for information about settling in the UK.