Visiting a Household Waste Recycling Centre during coronavirus
To visit one of our household waste recycling centres you must book a slot in advance.
We are still limiting slots to observe the government's rules on social distancing. Following their guidelines announced on 4 July, we changed our booking process.
Our booking process allows:
- all centres to be open 7 days a week
- an increase in opening hours
- an increase of slots from 22,000 per week to 32,000 per week
- you to view the slots available for a month in advance
- up to 2 booking slots per household per calendar month
- you to cancel a booking or amend the date/time of a booking
- you to choose a booking slot before entering your contact and vehicle details.
Anyone who visits must adhere to the coronavirus safety rules at the centre.
Read our frequently asked questions (PDF, 203.6 KB) for more information about our restrictions.
Book your slot
Centres will be open from 8:30am to 3:45pm, 7 days a week. Our new booking slots are:
- 8:30am to 9:45am
- 10am to 11:15am
- 11:30am to 12:45pm
- 1pm to 2:15pm
- 2:30pm to 3:45pm
To visit you must book a slot using our online booking form.
You can only book up to 1 month in advance. New slots are added every day, so if you are unable to book please keep checking back.
Once booked, we will send you a reference number via email which you must use when visiting the centre.
To find out how we'll use the information you provide, please read our privacy notice.
Visit the Medway Council website to book a slot at Capstone or Hoath Way.
Cancel or rearrange
If you need to cancel or rearrange your slot, please select the cancellation link found at the bottom of your booking confirmation email.
To amend your vehicle details, please cancel your booking and make a new booking.
You are reminded that you must only book two visits per calendar month.
Visiting the centre
When visiting, you:
- must have your booking reference number. You can display this via your phone or printed/ written down on a piece of paper
- are advised to wear a pair of gloves (garden, latex, rubber etc). If you wish to wear a mask to limit the risk of infection you can. These must be disposed of at home
- must only attend the site once within your booking slot and cannot revisit. If you miss your slot, you may not be permitted to use the site on this occasion.
All materials usually accepted at your local centre will be accepted.
Who can visit
You can bring one other person from your own household with you to assist with unloading items, but this is at staff discretion.
If you have no option but to bring children with you, they must always stay in the vehicle.
For more information about the restrictions in place read our frequently asked questions (PDF, 203.6 KB).
COVID-19 affected waste
If you are disposing of waste contaminated or potentially contaminated with COVID-19, please:
- double bag the material
- store the bag securely for 72 hours.
You must follow the above before bringing this waste to the centre or putting it out for kerbside collection.
Terms and conditions
When visiting, residents must note that:
- abusive behaviour towards staff or other customers will not be tolerated and you could be banned
- centre rules must be adhered to
- those who do not comply may be asked to leave and may be banned
- the centre may have to close temporarily or for longer periods with no warning if required
- security measures will be in place at the sites and body worn cameras will be used as required to ensure customers and staff safety.
Social distancing rules
The following social distancing rules will be applied across all sites:
- To reduce infection risk, staff will not be helping people dispose of waste. This means that you will need to unload the waste yourself.
- Assistance will only be provided in exceptional circumstances, if, for example, you have a disability or have difficulty in removing waste from your vehicle. Please speak to a member of site staff on arrival.
- Traffic management will be in place, with reduced parking bays to make sure that we can observe the government's rules on social distancing.
- One customer at a time on the access platform/gantry, only when a member of staff is not operating the machines.
- Any flytipped items left outside centre entrances or access roads is a crime. If you wish to report any flytipping, please report this online.
Find out how you can recycle some of your household waste recycling products.