Visiting a Household Waste Recycling Centre during coronavirus
To visit one of our household waste recycling centres (HWRC) you must book a slot in advance.
Following the Government’s announcement for the lifting of restrictions from 19 July, you will still need to book to access the sites, and will be able to visit the HWRCs to the same extent as before COVID restrictions. Availability of slots will be expanded to be in line with pre-COVID volumes.
Whilst the booking system was brought in to help us manage the demand on our sites in response to social distancing and revised workplace regulations, it has provided some benefits regarding the management of the sites which may be considered as beneficial. These include:
- reduced traffic queueing at the busiest of sites
- improvements to local air quality as queuing eases and uncertainty of access has reduced wasted car journeys
- people being more mindful of disposing of waste, for example bringing more waste, less often - benefiting the environment
- less disruption to customers as site maintenance to be planned in accordance with customer demand
- improved communication with customers, for example informing them directly of any potential service issues.
For kerbside collection information, contact your local borough or district council.
Read our frequently asked questions (PDF, 181.1 KB) for more information about our restrictions.
Have your say
Given the positive customer feedback and additional benefits, KCC are considering keeping the booking system on a permanent basis, but before this is considered by KCC’s Environment and Transport Cabinet Committee we want to hear the views of Kent residents and other stakeholders.
A public consultation is live and we encourage you to have your say. The consultation closes on 30 September 2021.
Book your slot
To visit you must book a slot using our online booking form.
You can book up to 1 month in advance. If you cannot book a slot for the time you want, please keep trying. New slots are added each day, and as bookings are cancelled availability may change.
If you cannot book a slot online, please call 03000 41 73 73. You should only call if you cannot access the online booking system.
Visit the Medway Council website to book a slot at Capstone, Cuxton or Hoath Way.
Once booked, you will receive a reference number via email which you must use when visiting the centre.
To find out how we'll use the information you provide, please read our privacy notice.
Cancel or rearrange your slot
If you need to cancel or rearrange your slot, please select the cancellation link found at the bottom of your booking confirmation email.
Please cancel any booking(s) that are no longer required, this will free up the slots for others to visit.
If you have repeated unused bookings, you may be restricted in the future.
Visiting the centre
Before your visit, please make sure:
- you take confirmation of your booking with you, either displayed on a smart phone, printed or a handwritten note of your booking reference. Each booking entitles you to one visit
- if you drive a restricted vehicle (e.g. a van or pick-up truck), you also bring a valid vehicle voucher with you
- you're aware that all HWRCs have a 2m (6’ 6”) height barrier.
- you're aware there may be occasions where you are asked to wait whilst operations are carried out on site – your booking is still valid, so please be patient.
- you display your Dartford permit or have proof of Kent residency if visiting Dartford Household Waste Recycling Centre. Non-Kent residents (e.g. Bexley residents) will be charged £10 per visit on arrival.
- you arrive within your booking time slot (sites may be slightly busier at the beginning of each time slot)
- you are familiar with our operating policies.
All materials usually accepted at your local centre will be accepted.
COVID-19 affected waste
If you are disposing of waste contaminated or potentially contaminated with COVID-19, please:
- double bag the material
- store the bag securely for 72 hours.
You must follow the above before bringing this waste to the centre or putting it out for kerbside collection.
Terms and conditions
When visiting, residents must note that:
- abusive behaviour towards staff or other customers will not be tolerated and you could be banned
- centre rules must be adhered to
- those who do not comply may be asked to leave and may be banned
- the centre may have to close temporarily or for longer periods with no warning if required
- security measures will be in place at the sites and body worn cameras will be used as required to ensure customers and staff safety
- any flytipped items left outside centre entrances or access roads is a crime. If you wish to report any flytipping, please report this online.
Find out how you can recycle some of your household waste recycling products.