Your personal information

The UK General Data Protection Regulation controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government. Under this legislation you have the right to:

  • access any personal data held about you
  • have inaccurate information about you corrected
  • to be forgotten (erasure)
  • restrict processing
  • object to processing
  • stop automated decision making
  • data portability.

Read a guide to data protection on GOV.UK or find out from the Information Commissioner's Office about requesting your personal information.

Exercising your rights

You can exercise any of these rights by:

  • emailing
  • writing to the Information Resilience and Transparency Team, Kent County Council, Room 2.64, Sessions House, County Hall, Maidstone ME14 1XQ.

Before we can continue with your request, you'll need to provide:

  • proof of your identity
  • proof of your current address.

If you have asked for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, you may have to pay a fee for the administrative costs of providing you with this information. We will tell you if you need to pay us anything and we reserve the right to waive any fees.

We must not knowingly give the information to the wrong person, so we may ask for identification before we hand any information over.

Information about other people

To request information about someone else, you must either:

  • have written consent from them allowing us to disclose their information to you
  • have Power of Attorney to legally act on their behalf
  • or if you are requesting information about a child, be their parent or legal guardian.

You will need to send proof of this with your request.

Education records

To access your child's education records, you need to write to the headteacher of the school your child goes to or went to.

Response time

We will respond to you within one month of receiving your written request although we can extend this to three months if your request is complex.

The time period starts from when we receive sufficient information plus proof that you are who you say you are to progress your request, so please be as specific as possible in your written request. We will contact you if we need more information. You may find that completing the Subject Access Request form will help us help you.

Looking after your personal information

We need certain personal information to be able to provide services.

Find out how we use information about you, and who we might share it with in our access to personal information privacy notice and information access requests privacy notice.

Contact us

If you have any queries:

  • email
  • write to Information Resilience and Transparency Team, Kent County Council, Room 2.64, Sessions House, County Hall, Maidstone ME14 1XQ.