16+ Travel Card

Bus travel in Kent for over 16s in school, college or training.

When you can apply

We are only accepting applications for passes for the 2016-17 academic year. The last day applications for 2016-17 passes can be made is Friday 26 May 2017.

All applications received will be processed within 28 working days of receipt.

Applications for September 2017 are open from Monday 5 June. To guarantee the pass can be collected from your child's school on the first day of term, you must complete your application by Friday 14 July 2017.

As payments for the pass are made directly to your child's learning provider, you may wish to contact them directly to confirm how they administer the scheme.

Full details of the new scheme will be available from Monday 29 May 2017.

Apply or renew online

Apply or renew online

Before you apply you will need:

  • a passport style photo in JPEG format and no more than 40kb in size
  • the name of your school, college or learning provider.

You cannot apply online if you are attending Canterbury College. Please contact the college's Student Information Centre for further details.

Apply by post

Print and complete our 16+ Travel Card application form (PDF, 1.1 MB).

Before you apply or renew you will need:

  • a passport style photograph
  • the name of your school, college or learning provider.

Return by post to: Kent 16+ Travel Card, Public Transport, Kent County Council, PO Box 441, Aylesford, ME6 9HJ.

Do not send payment to Kent County Council.  Your school or college will arrange payment for your pass after you have applied.

For more information, download the 16+ Travel Card leaflet (PDF, 485.1 KB) or the 16+ guide for parents (PDF, 562.4 KB).

To get a 16+ Travel Card you must:

  • be 16 to 19 years old - to be eligible for a travel card for the academic year beginning September 2016 your date of birth must be between 01/09/1997 and 31/08/2000 (in academic years 12-14)
  • live in a house that pays Council Tax to a Kent council
  • attend a participating school, college or work-based learning provider.

If your school, college or employer is based outside Kent, but you live in Kent you can still apply.

If you live in Medway or a London borough with a Kent postal address (for example Bromley) you can't apply and should contact your own council to find out about their schemes.

Full year travel card

A card for the full 2016/17 academic year costs £400. There is no admin fee.

Part year travel cards

You can buy travel cards to cover all or part of the academic year. The cost is based on when we receive the application:

Valid fromCostsApplication deadline (for pass to be ready for the start of term)
Term 1 (from 5 September 2016)£40015 July 2016
Term 2 (from 31 October 2016)£34030 September 2016
Term 3 (from 3 January 2017)£2802 December 2016
Term 4 (from 20 February 2017)£2106 January 2017
Term 5 (from 18 April 2017)£14017 March 2017
Term 6 (from 5 June 2017)£705 May 2017

Paying in instalments

Check with your school, college or employer to see if you can pay in instalments.

Getting help with the cost

Speak to your school, college or employer to ask for help towards the cost if:

  • your household income is between £16,191 and £20,817 a year - you will pay between £200 and £400
  • your household income is less than £16,191 a year (the same as our free school meals criteria) - you will pay no more than £200
  • you are an employed 16 to 19 year old apprentice who can demonstrate hardship caused by travel pressures - you will pay between £200 and £400.

If you've received the full vulnerable learner bursary payment or your household income is more than £20,818 you'll pay £400.

Refunds for returned cards

If you leave your education or training or don't need your card for other reasons we'll refund you part of the cost. You'll have to pay a £50 administration fee.

You need to hand in your card to your school, college or employer, who will then send it on to us.

We'll send your travel card to your school, college or employer within 28 working days of receiving your forms. If you applied by 15 July 2016 it should be ready for the first day of term in September.

We no longer send letters for travel on the first day of term. Instead, we have agreed with bus operators that they will allow students to travel on the first few days of term to collect their pass. If you have one, you should keep hold of your old pass and present this to the driver.

You can use your travel card all day, all year. Cards run out on 31 August.

The card allows free travel on most public buses. You can't use it on private bus services and coaches.

See a list of all operators taking part (PDF, 89.6 KB)

Travel outside Kent

Use Traveline to plan your bus journey.

Outside of Kent: you can use your pass to travel to counties bordering Kent as long as the journey starts or ends in Kent. You can't use it on London buses.

Medway: you can use your pass as long as your journey starts or ends within the Kent County Council administrative area, but you cannot use your pass to make journeys from one Medway point to another Medway point.

Behaviour of card holders

You are expected to follow the code of conduct at all times and the bus company's conditions of carriage.

If you don't your pass may be taken away or you may even be banned from travelling on certain buses.

Download the 16+ Travel Card code of conduct leaflet (PDF, 661.9 KB).

Download the 16+ Travel Card terms and conditions (PDF, 78.0 KB).

To get a replacement pass please call us on 03000 41 84 84 with your child's name, address and school. You will need a debit or credit card.

Cost: £10 per replacement

Pay: by debit or credit card if you call us. Or send a cheque or postal order with your child's name, address and school (made payable to Kent County Council) to Kent 16+ Travel Card (Replacement), Kent County Council, Public Transport, PO Box 441, Aylesford, Kent ME6 9HJ.

You can have 3 replacement passes per school year.

Temporary passes

We'll send a temporary pass to your home for your child to show the driver whilst you're waiting for your replacement. We usually do this within 10 working days of receiving payment.

We'll send the replacement pass to the school before the temporary one runs out.

Found pass:

If you have found a bus pass please contact one of our staff: