Young person's travel pass
Weekday bus travel in Kent for 11-16 year olds.
When you can apply
You can apply for full year and first half year passes from 5 June 2017. To guarantee the pass can be collected from your child's school on the first day of term, you must complete your application by 14 July 2017. We will process any applications received after this date within 28 working days of receipt. Applications for first half year passes will close on 1 December 2017.
You can apply for second half year passes from 20 November 2017. You will need to apply by 5 January 2018 to ensure your child’s pass is ready for the start of the new school term.
You can apply online if you:
- are in year 7 to 11 and pay full price for the pass
- qualify for free school meals.
Before you apply online, make sure that:
- you have a credit or debit card
- for new applications, you have a passport style photograph in JPEG format of no more than 40KB in file size. There is a cropping tool available within the application. However, you may find it useful to crop the photograph to the dimensions required before you upload it. For more information on the photograph requirements, read the guide to applying online (PDF, 1.6 MB) before starting your application.
You can't apply online if you are eligible for a free pass or are applying for the third or fourth pass for free. You'll need to apply by post.
Apply by post
Print and complete our young person's travel pass application form (PDF, 693.5 KB).
If you are applying for more than two full cost passes and want to get the third or fourth pass free, you will need to apply by post (you cannot apply online). Tick the box on each form that indicates you have more than two children and return all of the forms together. You can then deduct the cost of the third or fourth pass from your cheque or postal order (e.g. 2, 3 or 4 full year passes would cost £560). We will then check your details and send you the pass as normal. This offer is not available if any of the passes applied for are at the reduced fee (if you get free school meals) or if you get already get one free.
You can renew your pass using the online and paper forms linked to below. We'll send your pass to your school or college for collection.
You need to renew your child's pass each year but you do not need to send a new photograph.
You'll need the pass number of the current pass and access to the email address you used to register.
You can renew online if:
- your child is in year 7 - 11 (or has been put forward to year 12 but would normally be in year 11)
- you pay for your pass and don't qualify for a free pass
- you haven't changed school, moved house or changed your email address
If you have moved house, your child has changed school in the last year or you need to update your name or email address, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before renewing online.
If you want to update the photograph on your pass, please email the new photograph to email@example.com, clearly stating your child’s name, date of birth and school.
Renew by post
Use the young person's travel pass application form (PDF, 693.5 KB) to renew the pass if you:
- qualify for a free pass
- are applying for more than two full cost passes and qualify to get the third or fourth for free
- don't have a credit or debit card
Send your form and payment to: Public Transport, Kent County Council, PO Box 441, Aylesford, ME6 9HJ.
If you want to update the photograph on your pass, you can post a new photograph to Public Transport, Kent County Council, PO Box 441, Aylesford, ME6 9HJ. Please include your child’s name, date of birth and school.
You'll receive your pass within 28 working days of us receiving your application. Terms and conditions (PDF, 81.0 KB) apply.
You can also find information about the pass in our leaflet for parents and students (PDF, 96.6 KB).
- Young people who live in Kent (whose household pays its council tax to Kent County Council) and are in year 7 - 11 (or put forward to year 12 but would normally be in year 11)
- 16 - 21 year olds in care or care leavers who are registered in care under Kent County Council
- Young carers who are 16 - 18 and in full time education.
Before you apply you may want to check if you are eligible for our free school transport scheme.
If your child goes to school in Kent but you're not a Kent resident they can't get a young person's travel pass. Please contact your local council.
Once you've paid for and received your pass, bus travel is free.
There is an increase to the cost of some types of pass for 2017/18.
Full year pass (4 September 2017 to 31 July 2018)
- £100 if you get free school meals
Term 1-3 pass (4 September 2017 to 23 February 2018)
- £50 if you get free school meals
Term 4-6 pass (19 February 2018 to 31 July 2018)
- £50 if you get free school meals
If you are completing a paper application form, make sure you tell us which pass you're applying for.
You can get a free pass if you are:
- a young carer
(you must get your application endorsed)
- in care or are a care leaver
(you must get your application endorsed)
- applying for more than two full cost passes, you can get the third or fourth for free
To help households with more than two children, we are offering parents the third or fourth pass for free. To take advantage of this offer, you will need to apply by post (y
ou cannot apply online). This offer is only valid for applications for the Young Person’s Travel Pass scheme and does not include applications for a Kent 16+ Travel Card.
Getting your application endorsed
If you're in care, a care leaver or a young carer you must get your application endorsed or you'll end up paying the standard £280. Find out who to contact below.
Kent Young Carers 17 – 19 Monson Road, Tunbridge Wells TN1 1LS.
Call: 0300 111 1110
Young Carers First
Call: 0300 303 1555
If you live in Maidstone you can also contact Crossroads on 01622 817114 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In care or care leavers
If you are in care and you are 11-16 years old, ask your case worker to arrange for someone to endorse your application.
If you are in care or a care leaver and you are 17-21 years old, contact your personal advisor to arrange for someone to endorse your application. Your pass will be sent to your personal advisor for them to give to you.
Your child can collect their pass from school. We don't send passes to your home.
It should be ready for the first day of term if you applied or renewed on time.
We have agreed with bus operators that for the first few days of term 1 and term 4, children who have applied on time and need to collect their new pass from school should be allowed to travel. If they have it, your child should carry their old pass, but anyone who would qualify for the scheme should be allowed to travel without any proof of payment or eligibility.
Once your application has been processed, you will receive an e-mail or letter as confirmation. There is no longer a need to present a letter for travel and we are therefore not providing them.
Pass not at school
If your child's pass wasn't at the school as expected, please contact us and provide your child's name, date of birth and school.
Email us on email@example.com or call 03000 41 84 84 (Monday – Friday, 9am - 5pm).
If you apply or renew late you may have to wait up to 28 working days for us to send the pass to your child's school.
We don't refund fares your child pays whilst waiting for their pass to arrive or provide letters they can show the driver.
You can use your pass on buses between 6am and 7pm, Monday to Friday between the start of the school year and 31 July.
The pass cannot be used during August.
Certain bus operators offer additional travel to pass holders outside the 6am to 7pm, Monday to Friday limit:
- Stagecoach offer a flat fare of £1 to pass holders outside these times, but not between 31 July and the beginning of the September school term.
- Stagecoach are also offering people the opportunity to upgrade their young person's travel pass to one which allows free travel on any service at all times, including evenings and weekends and during August. This is through a separate annual ticket which can be purchased through Stagecoach. The cost of the ticket is:
- £30 per year for young person's travel pass holders
- £100 per year for people who are entitled to free transport to school.
For further information regarding the additional services and reduced fares offered by Stagecoach, please contact them directly:
Telephone: 03456 00 22 99
(open from 07:30 to 18:00, Monday to Saturday)
- Chalkwell Coach & Garage Hire offer a flat fare of £1 to pass holders outside these times but not between 31 July and the beginning of the September school term.
See the list of operators you can use your pass with (PDF, 89.0 KB).
Outside of Kent: you can use your pass to travel to counties bordering Kent as long as the journey starts or ends in Kent. You cannot use it on London buses.
Medway: you can use your pass as long as your journey starts or ends within the Kent County Council administrative area, but you cannot use your pass to make journeys from one Medway point to another Medway point.
If you experience any problems with the bus service that you are using, you should contact the bus operator. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you can email the Young Person’s Travel Pass Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Behaviour of pass holders
Download the young person's travel pass code of conduct (PDF, 707.8 KB) .
We can take passes away from anyone who doesn't stick to this code.
Download our terms and conditions (PDF, 81.0 KB).
Special school services and services not covered
You need to pay extra on some special school services. See a list of special school services and services not covered (PDF, 89.0 KB).
To get a replacement pass please contact us with your child's name, address and school.
Call: 03000 41 84 84.
Cost: £10 per replacement
Pay by debit or credit card: Call 03000 41 84 84
Pay cheque or postal order: Make your cheque/postal order payable to Kent County Council and write your child's name, address and school on the back. Post to: Public Transport, Kent County Council, PO Box 441, Aylesford, ME6 9HJ.
You can have 3 replacement passes per school year.
It can take up to 10 working days to get your temporary replacement pass. In the meantime you'll have to pay the fare. We don't refund fares you pay whilst you're waiting.
We will send a temporary pass to your home for your child to show the driver whilst you're waiting for your replacement.
We will send the replacement pass to the school before the temporary one runs out.
If you have found a bus pass please: