Join the library
Anyone who lives, works or studies in Kent can join a Kent library. There are different ways to join.
Join online and you can reserve up to 3 items straight away using the online catalogue.
We will give you your library card and PIN when you come to collect your items. Remember to bring identification.
Visit one of our libraries with any official identification showing your current address and you can become a full member. We will give you a library card and PIN number.
As a full member you can really make the most of the library, including:
- borrowing up to 30 items at a time (including 12 DVDs or CDs)
- accessing online resources including eBooks, eMagazines and audiobooks
- access to websites just for library members.
If you don't have identification or you do not have a permanent address, you can get a temporary library card and take out up to 3 items.
If you have a disability or mental health problems you can get an exempt card. With an exempt card you will enjoy:
- no overdue fines if you return items late
- no charges for borrowing CDs
- free computer use for 2 hours a day with accessibility software to support planning, reading and writing. Under 16s need parental permission to use the internet
- free black and white printing and photocopying (up to 20 pages).
You still have to pay to reserve items from a library outside of Kent.
We also have a range of services especially for the disabled or elderly you may be interested in.
For more information, speak to your local library.
If you don't live, work or study in Kent you can get a guest pass.
You can use library computers for the day but you cannot borrow items. In the Kent History and Library Centre you can’t access the archives section with a guest pass.
You will need to bring identification.
You don’t need a pass to read newspapers, books, meet friends, study or join in free activities.
You need a library card to take books, films and music out of the library.
To get a library card you need to join the library. If you join online you will get your card when you first visit a library. If you join in a library you will get it when you are there.
Replace a lost or damaged card
To replace a lost or damaged card, please bring proof of your name and address to one of our libraries. A 50p charge applies.